Seven | Engagement

CHIARA

(Age: almost eighteen)

I was in the middle of arranging my school books when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in", I said to whoever it was.

I arranged the books neatly on my desk when that familiar, musky, spicy cologne filled my room.

I lifted my head and my gaze clashed with Ezekiel's as he stood there, dressed in a black suit as if he came here directly from the office. Since he is the CEO now, he works hard.

"Now what do you want?" I asked, exasperated. "I am not doing anything related to wedding preparations anymore."

He stepped closer. "Hmm, everything's already decided. You don't have to worry about anything."

"I am worrying about everything." I sighed, lowering my gaze. "I am scared. I overthink about it every night, about what might or might not happen, me being forced to--"

He stopped just an inch away from me and lifted my chin with his finger, his jaw clenched. "I will never ever force you to do anything that you don't like." He gave a squeeze to my chin. "Is that understood?"

The sincerity in his voice did make me feel a little relieved. "Yes."

"Good. Anything else you need assurance with? It's better to clear everything now itself. We will be getting married in four months after all."

"I want to study further. I want to go to college, pursue higher education."

He still held my chin in between his fingers and caressed it gently. "Subject?"

"Economics."

"Okay. Study, give the entrance exams, and I will take care of the rest."

I frowned. "Take care? Of what?"

"Your college fee--"

"No. Dad can do that, you don't have to--"

He leaned down until the tip of our noses brushed together. "You will be my wife. Whatever you will need, I'll provide it." He stated firmly.

The way he said 'my wife' made my heart skip a beat and left me a little speechless. I licked my lips and for a second his eyes flickered down to them but he immediately released my chin and stepped back.

I nodded slowly in agreement. "Okay. If you say so."

"Anything else?" He adjusted his cufflinks making that simple action look undeniably hot.

"For now, no. I am going to text you if I want anything else clarified."

"That would be good." He gazed at me softly. "I don't want you to be scared at all. You will be safe, I promise you."

I hummed. "Any specific reason why you came here?"

He cleared his throat. "Right." He reached inside his suit jacket and pulled out a small, jewellery box. "I wanted to give you your engagement ring."

I rolled my eyes. "Of all the ways I imagined myself getting engaged, this is the worse. I know our marriage is arranged but still..."

"Do you want me on my knees, Chiara?"

"Go ahead," I said playfully.

I thought he was joking but my eyes widened when he actually went on one knee. A blush rose on my cheeks seeing him like that.

"My little hellion, the reason for my headaches," he spoke profoundly, "will you do me the honour of marrying me so that you can trouble me for the rest of my life?"