Twenty-Five | Destined For You

CHIARA

A WEEK LATER...

I was scrolling through the reels on Insta when Ezekiel exited the bathroom and made his way to the bed.

A moment later, he lay down with his head on my lap.

Two minutes passed by in silence and then he snatched my phone from me.

"Give that back," I whined trying to take it from him but he threw it on the other side of the bed.

"What is your problem?" I questioned, pouting angrily.

He stared up at me. "I want all your attention to be on me not on your phone."

I huffed. "Fine. You have my attention, now what?"

"Good." A small smile touched his lips. "Now keep your eyes on me."

"Seriously?" I chuckled. "It will be creepy if I just keep staring at you."

"I don't care."

Shaking my head slightly, I placed my fingers in his hair, caressing it.

His eyes fluttered close as I continued to massage his scalp, his face softening.

"I was wondering..." I spoke softly. "...why you call me 'my heart'?"

His eyes opened and burned into mine. "Well, isn't it fair when you own my heart?"

My breath stuttered, my cheeks turning red. "Um..."

He grabbed my hands and bringing them to his mouth, kissed both of them.

"I never knew you could be this cheesy," I mumbled, still blushing.

"I saved all my flirting skills exclusively for my wife." He teased.

My hands returned to his hair and I resumed massaging his scalp, smiling softly.

But my smile soon faded away when a memory resurfaced and guilt trickled into me.

"I...I have to tell you something..." I murmured gloomily.

"Yes?"

"But please don't get angry." I bit my lips.

He frowned subtly. "What is it?"

"I...um...when I was thirteen...I..."

Now he was looking at me suspiciously and I felt more nervous.

"You remember the boy I told everyone about at the dinner table? The one I was going to ask out?" I asked nervously.

His jaw clenched. "You went on a date with him?"

"No! I mean...I...I was very angry when I got to know about our marriage contract and just to rebel against it...I...asked him out."

I quickly continued, "But I felt guilty about it so later that day only, I just went and told him that I won't be able to make it. I shouldn't have done that, I am sorry."

He stared at me blankly and then slowly got up and sat opposite me. "I am not sure how to react to this."

"I am sorry." I chewed on my lips. "Please, I never even looked at any other boy after that, I swear."

"You didn't go on a date with him and you were thirteen and at that age, we tend to do a lot of stupid stuff..." He didn't even look at me and scratched his stubble. "But I was ten when this contract was signed yet I was mature enough to not do anything like that."

Tears welled in my eyes and I clasped his hands. "Please, I am so sorry, Eeel. It was only meant to be a rebellious act. Yes, I had a crush on that boy but I didn't ask him out because of that."