Twenty-Seven | Grovelling

EZEKIEL

I spent five minutes pounding at her door but when that didn't work, I slumped down on the floor with my back against the door, legs tucked under me.

My eyes burned from crying so much. It's funny how I was so against marrying her but now, I didn't want to go back home without her.

What's a home to me if not her?

A pair of shoes came into my view which I recognised as Cyrus's. I was angry at him for not taking my side but right now I didn't have the energy to argue with him.

"Come on, get up now." He said in a gentle tone.

"I am not going anywhere without her," I stated.

"Sitting here won't make her forgive you. Now, get up, Ezekiel. You need to give her some time."

Bending down, he extended his hand to me which I ignored.

"Dad's waiting for you downstairs."

I didn't want to face anyone but my wife but it wasn't an option.

He grabbed my shoulders, forced me up on my feet, and started dragging me down the stairs.

Dad and Uncle were talking in the living room, both looking frantic and worried.

I couldn't even look them in the eye as Dad came over to me and wrapping his arm around my shoulder, led me out of there.

We both sat in his car in silence and he pulled out his handkerchief and tenderly cleaned the dried blood on my throat.

I stared blankly at the dashboard and Dad ran his fingers through my hair, stroking it. "I believe you, Ezekiel. But you need to give her time to come to terms with everything and you need to prove to her that you love her regardless of what the contract says."

"How am I supposed to do that?" I whispered through the lump in my throat.

"I wish I knew." He sighed. "All I can say is don't give up. Even if it takes you years to win her back."

I slowly turned my head to him. "Y-years? I will die without her."

He gave me a sympathetic look and wiped away my tears. "No. You are stronger than that."

I was not but I kept silent.

"Let's go home now", he mumbled, revving the engine and driving out of there.

How am I supposed to tell him that I have left my home and heart with her?

.
.
.

Day One Of Grovelling:

The next morning, I tapped my fingers impatiently against the steering wheel, right outside the Ludovica mansion waiting for the guards to open the main gate.

A moment later, they slid open and I sighed in relief that at least I wasn't blacklisted from coming here.

I drove up the driveway and pulled up to the front door, hastily getting out of the car with a bouquet of white tulips--they are supposed to symbolize apology--with a letter tucked between them.

I rang the doorbell and glanced up at the CCTV camera planted just above the door hoping they just open the door.

A minute passed during which I rang the bell ten times and finally, it was opened by Cyrus who regarded me with an exasperated look. "I told you to give her time."

I stepped forward but he shoved me back. "Marcelo left for work leaving me in charge of her and keeping away certain someone from her. Hint: you."

"I don't give a fuck what Marcelo said. She is my wife and if I want to see her, I will. He has no say in that." I gritted out.