3: James

"I'm so excited!" Lucie said for the billionth time, and I rolled my eyes.

We were all standing in the front of Institute, waiting for Cordelia to arrive. For the past hour, Lucie would not stop going on about how excited she was that Cordelia was moving back here.

"Yes we know Lucie, you've only said it a million times." I said annoyed.

She stopped and glared at me. "Why do you always have to be such a downer?"

"I am not, I'm only saying that your acting like a child." I glared at her.

"Well it's better than acting like you're miserable all the time." Lucie said angrily. "That's all you do! You mope around the corridors with a scowl on your face, about the angel knows what!"

"At least I don't act like I'm ten years old!" I exclaimed back angrily.

"That's enough you two." Father then said cutting me off, with a frown.

Lucie glared at me one last time before turning around and talking to mother. Just then Matthew walked over to me.

"She is so infuriating sometimes." I complained to him.

Matthew just chuckled. "You two entertain me greatly."

At that, I grinned. It was only Matthew who could make me smile when I was angry. I remember when I had first met him properly. It was at the Shadowhunter academy in Idris. Then, I had thought that he was a show off and that he thought that everything was a joke.

Now, Matthew was one of the few people I trusted fully. He was the only one who didn't judge me when I said something stupid or pointless. He was also there for me whenever I needed him, and he always knew how to make me feel better.

"Cordelia!" I heard Lucie shout, which snapped me out of my reverie.

I looked up to see Cordelia's family. Her mother was talking to my mother happily, and her father was talking to my father. Alastair was awkwardly making conversation with Matthew, who looked very uncomfortable. I then looked straight ahead to see Lucie hugging a small figure. When Lucie let go of her, I got a good look at her.

Cordelia was wearing a pale pink dress. Her red hair was falling gracefully to her shoulders. Her dark brown eyes were filled with happiness as she spoke to Lucie. She didn't look much different, but there something different about the way she seemed to carry herself. It was with a bit more confidence.

"Hello James." Uncle Elias said to me, as he came and shook my hand.

I said my hellos to everyone-including Alastair which was very awkward-until finally only Cordelia was left. She walked over to me, her eyes were bright.

"Hello James." She said softly.

"Hello Daisy." I breathed out.

I expected her to blush, as she usually did when I called her that, but Cordelia only smiled at me and then she went to go stand by Lucie. My mother told us all that it was time for supper, and we all walked to the dining room. I took a seat beside Matthew, which was also across from Cordelia.

"How was your boat here?" My father made conversation.

That lead to a story that I wasn't able to pay attention to. I found that my eyes drawn to Cordelia. She was whispering quietly to Lucie, and they were giggling a bit. I then noticed something I hadn't before. Cordelia hadn't looked at me once, like she used to before she had left for Paris.

"Is there anyone special your seeing, Alastair?" My father asked him.

Alastair looked quite uncomfortable. "Um no, there is not."

"Here that Lucie, he's single." My father teased, and I couldn't help but laugh a bit.

Lucie then groaned and swore in welsh, and my father frowned.

"What did she say?" Matthew whispered to me.

"Nothing good." I chuckled.

"What about you Cordelia? Are you seeing anyone?" My father asked.

"Um yes." Cordelia replied, while blushing.

I felt all the air being knocked out of me. Cordelia was seeing someone? But I thought she fancied me?

"I knew it!" My father smirked. "What's his name then?"

"Harry Townsend. He's going to move here to London in a month." She said while turning very red.

My father said something, but I couldn't concentrate on what he said. Cordelia was seeing someone, Cordelia was seeing someone, I replayed in my head. I was too late. I should have told her last year, and now I would never get the chance.

"Is he very handsome?" My father asked with a smirk.

"Um, yes." Cordelia blushed furiously, and she looked very embarrassed.

"Oh Will, leave her alone." My mother said, chuckling.

"Um, excuse me." I mumbled, then I got up and left the dining table.

I didn't know where I was going, but I had to leave. I threw on my coat and stormed out the front door of the Institute, ignoring Auntie Jessamine's attempts to ask me where I was headed. I found myself at Hyde park. Usually I would have gone to Blackfriars bridge, but not today. The bridge reminded me too much of Cordelia.

I sat down on a bench, and watched the ducks swim in the pond. I remembered my father telling Lucie and I to not go into the pond with the ducks, when we were young. Even then, I had gone into the pond just to annoy him. My father says to never trust a duck, but I haven't come up with situation yet, where you would need to trust a duck.

"James." A very familiar voice said.

"Matthew." I said, as he came and took a seat beside me.

We were both silent for a moment, then he spoke.

"I'm surprised. I thought she was single." Matthew said.

"I thought so too." I muttered.

"Don't worry, it won't last long." He said.

"Maybe it will. They've been seeing each other for a year now." I said numbly. "She's obviously in love with him."

"She'll love you again." Matthew said.

"How can you be so sure?" I asked.

He then looked at me with a bit of a pained expression. "Because you can never forget your first love."

I then knew that he was speaking about Alexa. I suddenly felt very bad for him, at least Cordelia was still here. Matthew wasn't able to see Alexa.

"I hope that's true." Was all I said.