10: Lucie

I walked around the ballroom, aimlessly. There were people everywhere, this was probably the most people we had ever invited. I had lost Cordelia about ten minutes ago, and I could not find her anywhere.

I looked to my side, and saw a boy with blonde hair staring at me. I blushed immediately, I knew that I looked pretty tonight. I was wearing a pink dress, and my hair was done up elegantly. Even James had complemented me, which was something he did not do often.

Speaking of James, he was walking up to me. He also looked quite dashing, in his evening clothes. His hair was disheveled, but he always found a way to make it look nice.

"Lucie, have you seen Cordelia?" He asked, when he reached me.

I raised my eyebrow. "No I lost her about ten minutes ago. Why?"

James blushed, and looked away. What? James hadn't blushed since he had been in love with Grace.

"Are you blushing Jamie?" I asked curiously.

"No." He said while not looking at me.

"Do you fancy Cordelia?" I said, absolutely shocked.

James just kept looking at the floor. He was very red now, and then I knew that he did fancy her.

"By the angel, you do!" I exclaimed excitedly.

"You cannot tell her, Lucie." He said quickly.

"I swear on the angel I won't." I said. "This is so exciting!"

"It's not like she fancies me back." James said.

She does! My mind shouted. I decided that I would Cordelia tell him. Or maybe she wouldn't, she was already seeing Harry Townsend. James and I talked for a bit longer, and then he left to go find Cordelia. I walked around for a bit longer, and got a drink from one of the tables. I was just about to take a sip, when I saw someone at the front of the ballroom.

I squinted, so I could see. I then made out of the shape of Tatiana Blackthorn. I then saw my father, and I walked up to him. He was looking surprisedly in Tatiana's direction.

"Father, what is she doing here?" I asked.

From here, I could see Tatiana speaking with Uncle Gabriel, and Grace was standing at her side silently. There was someone standing on the other side of Tatiana, but I couldn't make out who it was.

"I don't know. Come on, let's go see." My father said, his dark blue eyes were filled with worry.

We walked towards them, until we were in front of all three of them. The person standing beside Grace, was a boy. The boy had black hair, and bright green eyes. He looked quite uncomfortable being here. I had to admit, he was very attractive. There was also something familiar about him.

"Tatiana, what are you doing here?" My father asked.

"I came to see my brother." Tatiana said coldly. "Not you and your Herondale scum."

My father opened his mouth to say something, but Uncle Gabriel beat him to it.

"Tatiana." He snapped angrily. "Do not speak of the Herondale's like that."

"I shall do whatever I wish, Gabriel." Tatiana snapped back.

"Tatiana, what are you doing here?" My father asked again, impatiently.

Tatiana then had something of a smile and a smirk on her face. She put a hand on the shoulder of the boy who was standing beside her.

"To introduce you to my son." She said. "Jesse Blackthorn."

At her words, I dropped the drink I had been holding. It went everywhere on the floor and Tatiana gave me a disgusted look but I didn't care, I was too busy looking at Jesse. This was the boy I had been writing stories about for past year. Jesse was giving me an odd look.

"Lucie, are you alright?" My father asked.

I snapped out of my trance. "Yes I'm alright, the drink just slipped out of my hand." I lied.

"How did you do it, Tatiana?" Uncle Gabriel asked shocked. "How did you bring him back to life?"

Tatiana looked smug. "Like I would tell you, Gabriel. You will just go sell me out to the Clave. Go ahead, I don't care, I have my Jesse now."

Tatiana then hugged Jesse from the side, and Jesse patted her shoulder awkwardly. Grace stood there looking at Jesse angrily. I suddenly felt a bit bad for her, Tatiana seemed to be paying no attention to her.

"We have to tell Jessamine to stop letting her in here." My father muttered under his breath.

"You do know that necromancy is against the law, Tatiana?" Uncle Gabriel said.

Tatiana sniffed. "I have never been a Shadowhunter. Father never had me trained as one. Therefore, their rules do not apply to me."

"You are mad!" My father then exclaimed.

"Excuse me?" Tatiana said venomously.

"You heard me. Bringing this poor boy back to life, keeping your ward locked up in that mansion. I'm surprised they haven't tried to kill you yet!" My father said.

Just then Grace stepped forward from her mother side. She wore an angry expression on her face.

"Do not speak to my mother like that, you filthy Herondale--" She started.

I then too, stepped in front of my father, I was standing face to face with Grace. I matched her expression, but I prayed to Raziel that I looked more intimidating.

"Don't you dare speak to my father like that." I fumed.

I then looked over at Jesse, who had a look of genuine surprise on his face. He was looking right at me. Tatiana meanwhile, looked angry.

"Do not waste your time Gracie, Herondale's will listen to no one." Tatiana said, while looking at me disgustedly.

I fought the urge to slap her. "At least Herondale's don't lurk about mansions, seeking revenge for something that happened years ago. At least Herondale's aren't mad like the Blackthorn's." I fired back, enunciating Blackthorn.

"Lucie." My father said, while putting a hand on my shoulder.

Meanwhile, Tatiana looked enraged. "Why, you little worm! I should have had the warlock kill you instead!"

My father then stepped forward. "Do not speak to my daughter that way." He snapped angrily.

"I'll show you out Tatiana." Uncle Gabriel then said quickly.

He then ushered the three of them out. Tatiana shot me a glare, and I gave her a smirk. Jesse then, to my surprise, gave me the smallest smile, and then followed Grace out. I turned back around to my father, and we started to walk.

"Why did you do that back there, Luce?" My father asked me, curiously.

"There was no way I could have let Grace talk to you like that." I said.

"I could have handled it, she is only a girl." My father chuckled.

"I know, half of it was for Jamie." I said, and we both left.

"Though I do have to admit, it felt very nice saying that to Tatiana." I said with a smirk.

He laughed. "I think you enjoyed that too much."

I just laughed as well. "I think so as well."