4: Cordelia

I watched as James walked hurriedly out of the dining room, his black hair everywhere. What was wrong with him? It was probably something about Grace, I thought to myself. James had become the dramatic sort ever since last year.

"What on earth is wrong with him?" Aunt Tessa murmured.

"Excuse me." Matthew said, and he then got up and went after James.

Lucie had told me that Matthew was still very torn up about Alexa. I felt very bad for him, I knew how it felt in those first few months being away from James. Dinner went on smoothly-or as smoothly as it could-after that. Though Aunt Tessa and Uncle Will seemed very distraught.

"What's wrong with James?" I asked Lucie as we walked to our bedrooms after supper.

Lucie rolled her eyes. "There's always something wrong with him."

I chuckled. "That's true, but I wonder what is bothering him."

"Well it's not like he'll tell anyone except Matthew, so I wouldn't count on him telling you." She said.

Oh I'll get him to to me, I thought to myself.

"Are Matthew and James back yet?" I asked.

"I don't think so." Lucie said. "Would you like to go for a walk?"

"Okay." I replied with a smile, and we started towards the front doors.

We stepped outside and immediately Aunt Jessie was in front of us. She was wearing a worried expression.

"What on earth is wrong with James?"
She asked us.

"We have no idea." I replied. "Why?"

"He stormed out of the Institute earlier, without bothering to answer any of my questions." Auntie Jessamine said with a frown.

"He must be okay. Matthew should be with him." Lucie said.

"Matthew is always going after him isn't he?" Aunt Jessie chuckled.

Matthew had always been Aunt Jessie's favourite. Though, Matthew was a lot of people's favourite. I guess it was Matthew's friendliness and how he was always laughing, or making a joke. Not to mention, he was also quite handsome, not that I fancied him or anything though.

After that, Lucie and I started to walk into the cold London night. I had missed London dearly while I had been in Paris. Though it rained almost all the time, this was where I had made all of my best memories.

"I wonder how the New Yorkers are doing." I said suddenly.

"I do too. I wonder if Scarlett has gotten over James." Lucie chuckled.

I was then reminded of James and mine conversation on the day all of the New Yorker's left. It brought a sour taste in my mouth.

"I wonder how Logan is doing." I said aimlessly.

Lucie smirked at me. "Wouldn't you like to know."

"Stop it." I said while playfully hitting her on the shoulder.

"Oooh are we talking about Cordelia's boyfriend?" A voice said from behind us.

Lucie and I turned around, to see Matthew and James standing there. Matthew was smiling at us, and James was wearing an unreadable expression. He was looking at me intently, and I felt myself blush slightly. Maybe I hadn't fully gotten over him.

"No we were not." I said to Matthew.

"Sure sounded like it." He smirked. "Oh by the way while I was in the future, Logan asked about you."

"Really?" I asked a bit embarrassed.

"Yup. He asked how you were doing, and I said you were dating James." Matthew said, clearly pleased with himself.

"What?!" I exclaimed.

Matthew laughed, and James looked very embarrassed. I felt myself blushing very hard.

"Why?" I demanded.

"Because he needed to know that you weren't available. You're too good for him, Cordy." Matthew explained, as him and James started to walk ahead of us.

The four of us started to walk to nowhere in particular. James was very quiet, more than he usually was.

"Are you okay James?" I asked him.

"I'm fine." He mumbled, and he stared down at the ground.

I shot a confused look at Matthew, and he just gave me a shrug. I decided not to stress over what was wrong with James. There was always something going on with him lately, or so I had heard.

"When is Harry moving here again, Cordy?" Lucie asked me.

"In a month." I beamed.

"You must be very excited." James said, surprising us all.

"I am." I replied.

"He must be everything you've ever wanted, isn't he?" James said, with a bit of a annoyed tone.

"Are you sure you're fine, James?" I asked him confusedly.

There was then a silence for about ten seconds.

"I'm fine." He sighed. "We should head back, it's late."

He then started to walk away from us, and the rest of us trailed behind him.

"What on earth is wrong with him Matthew?" Lucie demanded.

Matthew hesitated. "I can't tell you two."

"Please Matthew." Lucie said.

He sighed. "I can't. I told James I wouldn't, he'll tell you when he's ready."

"Which will be never." Lucie said, exasperatedly.

"You never know." Matthew said. "It's James we're talking about, he does the things you'd least expect."

I thought of the day when he spoke about Scarlett, and the many heartfelt times we had shared at Blackfriars bridge.

"At least," I started. "That much is true."