5: Lucie

I sat at my desk late that night, trying to write more about my story about Jesse Blackthorn. I could not think of anything to write. I got up from my desk, sighing. It was about midnight and everyone was asleep. I decided to go the library and read.

The institute was quite creepy at night. There were witchlight lamps lit as I walked through that halls. I passed by what used to be-or so I was told- uncle Jem's old room. My parents still kept his violin in his room, and once in awhile Bridgette would go into his room and made sure it wouldn't get dusty.

On the days my father would miss uncle Jem more than usual, he would just go sit on his bed silently. It was moments like that when I I truly felt bad for my parents. They both missed uncle Jem dearly, and they could never get him back. When we were younger, my father would always tell James and I how great uncle Jem had been, and how he had saved him. He still told us that.

Before I had met Cordelia, I had often wondered if I would find a friend like that. Then when I had met her, I knew what my father had meant. Cordelia was one of the only people that understood me fully. She never had to ask if I wasn't feeling okay, she just knew.

I walked into the library, and grabbed "A Tale of Two Cities" off of one of the many big shelves, and took a seat in an armchair. This was my parents favourite book, though I suspected it was for a more deeper reason than I thought. While James and I had been growing up, my mother and father taught us how important books were and how they were one of the greatest things in the world.

I had come to learn that they really were. Books could take you places, just by sitting in one spot. They could lead you to the darkest of caves, or to the highest of mountains. Sometimes when I needed to escape my life only for a bit, I would read a book.

"Lucie?" A voice said from behind me, startling me.

Matthew walked up, and took a seat on the armchair across from me. His blonde hair was messy, and he was in his pyjamas. Matthew was quite handsome, and he was also very funny. There had been a time when I had fancied him, but now I loved him like a brother. Though sometimes, I felt as if I still fancied him, but I would never tell anyone that.

"Matthew, you frightened me." I said.

"Well, I would suppose so, it is quite late at night." He said, amused.

"What are you doing up?" I asked him.

"I cannot sleep." Matthew said. "What about you?"

"I am trying to write one of my stories, but I cannot think of what else to write." I explained.

"What is your story about" He asked me.

I hesitated. "Jesse Blackthorn."

Matthew looked surprised. "What of him?"

"I decided to tell his life story, of how he had always been sickly." I said.

"Do you fancy him, Lucie?" Matthew asked with a smirk.

"No!" I exclaimed. "I do not know why everyone thinks that."

"Maybe because it's true." He smirked.

"Well it's not." I insisted, and Matthew only laughed.

"Why? Do you fancy someone?" I asked him.

His smile disappeared. "You know that I am not over Alexa."

I suddenly regretted asking. I knew how hard it was for Matthew. That was why I tried not to get too close to any of the New Yorkers. I didn't want to be very heartbroken when they left.

"How was she when you saw here?" I asked softy.

"She was well, but I think I might have made it worse for myself by seeing her." Matthew said.

"How?" I inquired.

"As soon as I saw her, all the memories came back. Now, I cannot stop think about her." He said sadly.

"It's alright. You will get over her Matthew, I know it." I said.

Suddenly he got a smirk on his face. "How? Who have you fancied before?"

Oh god, I thought, it had been him. There was no way I could tell him that.

"No one, I was just guessing." I lied, but Matthew wasn't letting me off.

"Oh c'mon, Luce. You can tell me." Matthew said with a cheeky smile.

"Ugh fine." I gave in. "But you must swear on the angel that you won't tell anyone."

"I swear." He said.

I looked away from him then, blushing. "It was you."

His eyes widened in surprise. "Me?"

"Yes." I said, still not looking at him.

"When?" Matthew asked.

"When I had been thirteen and you were fourteen." I said embarrassedly.

"Did James know?" The amusement was clear in his voice.

"No, only Cordelia. You must not tell James, he will tease me mercilessly." I said.

Matthew laughed. "I won't."

Matthew and I spoke for about an hour more, and then I decided to head to bed. I walked with away with a smile on my face. Matthew always knew how to make someone laugh.