27: James

I shrugged on my coat, and walked through the Institute doors, briskly. I almost kissed Cordelia, I thought, I almost kissed her. The thought kept racing in my mind. I loved her so much, but I couldn't. She was marrying Harry. But I wouldn't love her for much longer, I thought. Not if my plan worked.

I raced past Auntie Jessamine, saying a quick hello. She looked very frazzled and worried about Matthew, but I reassured her that he was awake and speaking. As I walked through the streets of London, I thanked the angel that Matthew was okay. I realized that I kind of took him for granted. When he was laying in that infirmary bed, I realized how much he really did mean to me.

I had felt very embarrassed when Matthew almost saw Cordelia and I kiss. I couldn't even bear to look at Cordelia, because I had been so humiliated. If only she knew how much I loved her. Stop it James, I thought, you can't love her. She's engaged.

I looked up, I had been so caught up in my thoughts that I hadn't realized that I had reached my destination. I walked up the steps to the house, and before I could regret it, I knocked on the door. A second the door opened, revealing Magnus Bane. He was dressed in sparkly red pants and a white shirt.

"James Herondale?" He asked, surprisedly.

"I need your help." I said right away.

Magnus sighed, but opened the door for me to come in. He lead to me the living room, and he took on one of the sofas. I hesitantly took on the other one. The room was decorated very simply, to my surprise. In the corner there was a large book shelf filled with books, and my hands itched to go get one.

"What can I do for you?" Magnus' cat eyes were filled with curiosity.

"First, you must promise not to tell my mother or father about this." I said.

"Alright, I promise." He replied.

I took a deep breath " I need a potion. One that makes someone to stop loving another person."

"Why in the world, would you have need of that?" Magnus asked, confused.

"I am in love with Cordelia, but she is to be married to Harry Townsend, her boyfriend." I explained bitterly. "I need to stop loving her."

Magnus stood up and sighed. "I don't know, James."

"What?" I asked, startled. I had been sure that he would help me.

"These potions, they can't always be trusted. Sometimes they take away your emotion to love, forever." He said.

"So you won't help me, then." I said, dryly.

Magnus looked at me for a second, and to my surprise, started to chuckle.

"What are you laughing at?" I asked.

"That face you just made. You looked just like your father when he had come to me asking for help" Magnus said.

"The difference is that you actually helped him." I said bitterly.

Magnus sighed, and took a seat in the sofa again.

"Funny." He started. "Your father came to me, because he could not be loved. You are coming to me because you cannot love."

"Issues with love must run in the family." I muttered, sarcastically.

Magnus continued on, as if he didn't notice my sarcasm. "Oh it does. Your grandfather-your father's, father-I knew him, as well. He left the Clave to be with your grandmother, because she was a mundane."

"That's what love does." I said. "It takes your choices away."

"You are wise, James Herondale." Magnus said, eyeing me.

"Wise enough that you'll help me?" I said.

"I would hardly be helping you, if I gave you that potion. The chances of it not working, are the greater than the chances of it working." He said.

"I am willing to take that risk." I insisted.

"I am not. If it went wrong and something happened to you, your parents would have my head." Magnus said.

"Then what am I to do? I cannot go on forever, hurting like this. I cannot watch as Cordelia goes to marry Harry. I cannot stand by and watch it. I won't be able to bear it." I said.

"You endure what unbearable and you bear it." Magnus said, with a knowing smile as if he knew something I didn't.

"Not in this case." I muttered.

"What of Grace Blackthorn?" He asked me.

I rolled my eyes. "Grace Blackthorn, is a heartless monster like her mother."

"I heard her brother-Jesse-has moved into the Institute." Magnus said.

"Yes. Him and Lucie are inseparable." I said.

"In love, are they?" Magnus asked, entertained.

"Yes, I think so. Everyone finds love except for me." I grumbled. "Every time I love someone it ends in pain and heartbreak. I feel as if I'm cursed."

Magnus leaned forward. "You are not like your father, in that way. You are not cursed, James. You will find love, I am sure."

"How can you be so sure?" I asked, not believing that I was taking love advice from a warlock, whom I had only met once before.

"I have lived a long time, trust me I am sure." Magnus said.

I sighed. "I should leave."

I got up and walked toward the door. When I was about halfway there, Magnus put a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to face him.

"If you need anything, or just need to talk, I'll be here James. Just as I was for your father." He said.

"Thank you." I said.

I then left. As I walked back to the Institute, I wondered if I was ever going to get over Cordelia.