17: Matthew

I tugged on my coat, as I walked quietly to the doors of the Institute. It was about midnight, and I did not want anyone to know that I was leaving. I opened the doors, as quietly as I could, and stepped outside. The cold London air hit me hard, and I shivered. I started to walk towards the gates, when I heard a voice.

"Going out again, Matthew?" Said a familiar voice.

I turned around to see Auntie Jessamine standing there. She wore a curious expression on her face.

"Yes." I replied.

"Are you going to see her again?" Aunt Jessie asked with a smirk.

I blushed. "Yes I am. Have you told anyone that I've been sneaking out?"

She just laughed. "No I have not, Matthew. Now go, have fun."

She then disappeared, and I walked out of the gates of the Institute. I walked all the way to Hyde park, which was where we always met. When I reached the bench we always sat at, Amelia was already sitting there. Amelia and I had been meeting like this for the past few nights. We decided to keep it a secret for now, which is why we met so late.

I wasn't sure if Amelia fancied me back, and I hadn't told her that I liked her. I didn't just fancy her though, I loved her. I didn't think I would be able to love anyone after Alexa, but surprisingly I was able to.

"Hello." She said warmly, when she saw me.

"Hello, Amelia." I said with a smile, as I sat next to here.

"Jesse Blackthorn has arrived then?" Amelia asked.

I had been telling her everything that had been happening in the Institute.

"Yes he has. It is all quite strange." I said.

"Why?" She asked.

"I guess it's because, we all don't know how to treat him. I mean, we all feel really bad for him, but we all don't want to act as if he's dying again. Lucie seems to be the only who knows what to say to him." I explained.

"I see." Amelia said.

I turned to look at her, then. In that moment, like every other moment, she looked just like Alexa. A pang went through me at Alexa's name. I wonder how she was doing, maybe she had a boyfriend now. I suddenly felt jealous at the thought, but I knew I couldn't be. I had grown to love Amelia, so Alexa should be able to love someone else as well.

"How are things with your parents?" I asked her softly.

Amelia's parents did not get along get along with each other. They were always fighting, and she hated it. Her parents were also very protective over her, and her older sister Crystal. That was half of the reason of why we had to sneak out and meet with each other.

Amelia rolled her eyes, annoyedly. "Worse than ever. Sometimes I just wish they would separate."

I turned to look at her in surprise. It was rare, and frowned upon, for a married couple to split up.

"You want that?" I asked.

"When I was younger I didn't think I ever would, but now I think I do." Amelia said. "I mean, it has to be better than their constant arguing."

"I suppose so." I agreed.

We were then both silent for a moment. It quite quiet outside, for London. Even at night, you could still hear sounds of traffic and people, but tonight it was very quiet.

"Can I ask you something Matthew?" Amelia suddenly said.

"Anything." I replied, automatically.

"The day I first met you, you called me Alexa. Who is that?" She asked.

My heart tightened. "It's no one."

"Yes it is." Amelia said softly. "I can tell that she's someone special to you, and I know that you think I look like her. I see you staring at me when you think I'm not looking, because I look like her."

I was silent. Everything she said was true, and I couldn't deny it.

"Who is she, Matthew?" Amelia whispered, taking my hand, surprising me.

I took a deep breath. "I never told you this, but last year my family, and James's families descendants came from the future to see us. Among one of them was Alexa Lightwood. She had the same hair, and eyes that you do. While they had been here, I had found myself in love with her, and she had been in love with me. We had begun to date, and I knew that one day she had to go back, but I couldn't stop myself from loving her. She eventually had to go back, and I was heart broken. Then I saw you, in the square. You are almost an exact mirror of her, and for a moment, I had actually thought it was Alexa."

"Oh Matthew." Amelia said sadly.

"It's alright." I said while looking away from her.

"Well, she's not the only one whose in love with you." Amelia said softly.

I whipped my head around to look at her. She then leaned up and kissed me, hard. I was only too happy to do the same back.