28: Matthew

James and I stood in the training room, throwing knives. It had been two days since my accident with Amelia, and I was feeling much better. The day after I had met with Amelia, and she apologized profusely to me, even though she didn't need to. My mother, however, had been furious at me for going out into London unarmed.

"You and Cordelia almost kissed the other day, eh?" I smirked at James.

James blushed immediately. "Shut it."

"Oh c'mon, I know that you were dying to kiss her." I teased.

"Fine yes that is true, but she is engaged." He said.

"Well, she didn't show any sign of not wanting to kiss you." I said with a grin.

"Who was kissing James?" Said Lucie, who had just walked in.

"Cordelia." I said, and James glared at him.

Lucie clapped her hands together. "Ooooooh, Jamie!"

James groaned. "Thanks a lot, Matthew."

I winked at him. "No problem.

"Anyways, father is calling us all to the library." Lucie said, her smile disappearing.

"Why?" James asked.

"I'm not sure." She replied, with a frown.

I shrugged, and started towards Lucie. James followed and the three of us walked to the library. When we got there, Jesse, Cordelia, Aunt Tessa, and Uncle Will were all there. Aunt Tessa and Uncle Will were standing up, looking anxious. I felt my insides freeze a bit. What could be wrong?

Lucie went over to stand with Cordelia, and they started to whisper to each other right away. I leaned over to James.

"I wonder what this is about." I said.

"Me too." He said, looking a bit worried.

Just then Uncle Will cleared his throat, and started to speak.

"Charlotte is calling us all to Idris." He announced.

"What? Why?" I asked. My mother hadn't mentioned this two days ago.

"Yes. She wants all to speak out about Tatiana Blackthorn's trial. All the Lightwood's, as well." Uncle Will said.

I looked over at Jesse, who looked very nervous. I felt a bit bad for him, god mother was going through all of this for him.

"Does she want me to speak, as well?" Jesse asked.

"Yes she does." Aunt Tessa replied, with a bit of a frown.

Jesse paled, and look away. Lucie was looking at him with a pained expression, as if it hurt her to see him in pain.

"When do we leave?" James asked.

Aunt Tessa hesitated. "In an hour. I suggest you all go pack your things. We do not know how long we will be in Idris for."

*************************************
James and I walked around the more deserted streets of Alicante. We had arrived about half an hour ago. Magnus Bane had made a portal for us. I hadn't seen my parents or Charles yet. My father was probably with my mother and who knows what Charles was off doing.

"Do we all have to speak at Tatiana's trial?" I asked.

"No I don't think so. I know that I will have to, and so will Cordelia. Since Cordelia and I saw those men in Hyde Park that day. My father will, and my mother might have to. Uncle Gabriel and Uncle Gideon will have to for sure. As will Jesse." James explained.

"You'll have to see Grace." I said.

"I know, I'm dreading it." James sighed.

"It'll be okay, I doubt you'll even have to speak to her." I tried to comfort him.

Just then, we walked passed the Shadowhunter Academy. I was instantly flooded with memories of when I had been thirteen and coming here. This was where I had first met James, Christopher, and Thomas. I remember trying to get expelled, so I could be with my father.

"Ever thought you'd see this place ever again?" I said to James.

"I prayed that I would never have to." He muttered.

I saw a man talking to someone else, in front of the Academy. The man had bright red hair, and he was very tall. I grimaced, I'd know that figure anywhere. The man walked toward us, and smiling.

"Matthew, James." He said, while coming and standing in front of us.

"Charles." I said.

"Mother called you all, then?" He said.

"Yes." I replied, shortly.

Just then my mother sidled up beside Charles, and her face lit up as she saw James and I.

"James! Matthew!" She exclaimed, while hugging us.

"Hello mother." I said.

"Matthew, will take a walk with me?" My mother suddenly asked.

I lolled back at James and gave him a smile, I then walked away with my mother. As we walked, I realized how much taller I was than my mother, at least a foot. We walked on the path James and I had been walking.

"How are you feeling?" My mother asked.

"Much better." I replied.

"That's good." She said relieved.

"Mother, why do we all have to speak at Tatiana's trial?" I asked her.

She sighed. "The Clave and I simply cannot decide what to do with Tatiana. So we decided to hear you lot out, maybe you have something we haven't heard yet."

"I know that Jesse is feeling quite nervous about it all." I said.

"Poor boy. He has gone through a lot, none of this is his fault." My mother sounded sympathetic.

"What of Lucie's power?" I asked.

"I have not told the Clave. They will not find out." She said.

I felt relieved. I cared for Lucie as if she were my own sister, I had known her for very long.

"I asked you to come on a walk with me, Matthew, so I could tell you something." My mother said.

"What is it?" I asked.

She took a deep breath. "I'm pregnant."

My eyes popped out of there sockets. "What?"

"Yes. With twins, two girls." She said happily.

"Oh mother, that is wonderful." I exclaimed, while hugging her.

"I'm glad you think so Matty. Your brother wasn't as pleased." My mother said.

I scoffed. "You know Charles, he is always a downer that way."

My mother just laughed. She hugged me again, and I realized how much I missed my mother when she here in Idris.