21: Cordelia

I walked around my party saying hello to everyone. I had been so surprised when I had walked into the Institute. I had thought that everyone had forgotten about my birthday, because nobody had mentioned it. I had felt a little bad, it was my eighteenth birthday, so it was quite big. I had noticed though, that Lucie had been acting quite peculiar.

I stopped by the drink table, and picked up a glass of punch. In the distance, I saw my brother, Alastair, speaking with Charles Fairchild. He saw me looking at him, and he excused himself and started to walk towards me. Oh great, I thought to myself. Alastair came and stood in front of me.

"Happy birthday, Cordelia." He said.

"Thank you, Alastair." I replied, politely.

"Where is your boyfriend?" He smirked.

"I am actually not sure." I frowned.

Just then Matthew and James walked past us. Matthew winked at me, playfully and I rolled my eyes amusedly back. James, gave me a small smile, which I returned. I felt the blood rush up to my cheeks. By the angel, why did he have to have this affect on me?

"Still not over James, then?" Alastair inquired.

"What? Of course I am." I lied.

He chuckled. "Okay sure, Cordy."

I looked at him, surprisedly. Alastair never called me anything but Cordelia. We weren't close, so we didn't have nicknames for each other, but maybe I was wrong. Just then, my mother called all of us over for presents. I couldn't help the excitement that passed through. Even now, I still got excited over presents.

Of course, Lucie was the first one to give me her present. It was a beautiful silver necklace that said my name on it. Uncle Will and Aunt Tessa had gotten me the new books by my favourite author that I had been wanting. Matthew and his family got me a bunch of sweets and candy. My mother and my father, and Alastair got me a new stele and more books. The Lightwoods both got me new dresses (Aunt Cecily and Aunt Sophie had picked them out). Finally, James had gotten me bracelet. It was a charm bracelet, to be specific. Every charm was related to some memory we had together. For example, one charm was the Eiffel Tower, which symbolized the first time I had met him. There was also a daisy, signifying his nickname for me.

"Oh James," I breathed. "This is beautiful, thank you."

He blushed, and smiled. "Your welcome, Daisy."

Presents were soon over, and everyone was scattered about the room again. Suddenly someone came up behind me.

"Cordelia." The voice said.

I turned around to see Harry standing behind me. I smiled and hugged him.

"Happy birthday." He said happily.

"Thank you, Harry." I replied.

"Come, I have your present." He tugged my arm.

He took my hand, and we left the Institute. I felt a bit bad about leaving my party, but I knew that everyone wouldn't mind. Harry lead me all the way to Hyde park. We went to my favourite spot in the park. Under a tree, right by a stream. Every time, I still found it very beautiful.

"Why are we here, Harry?" I asked him.

"Because you said you love it here, and because there is something I need to ask you." He said a bit nervously.

I turned to face him, and looked down. Harry was down on one knee in front of me. I froze. By the angel, is doing what I think he is?

"Cordelia Carstairs." Harry began. "You are the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. Ever since you came into my life, I have been happier than I ever have been. You are so smart, funny, and caring. Will you do the honour of becoming my wife?"

I couldn't move or speak for a moment. Should I say yes? James's face came into my mind, and I hesitated a bit. I was still in love with him, and I could never change it. There would always been some part of me that belonged to James, and I had to accept that. Besides, it wasn't like James loved me back. I shouldn't have to dwell on him forever.

"Yes." I replied happily.

Harry then leaped up, and kissed me. He pulled me close to him, and my hands went around his neck. We stayed like that for awhile.

*************************************

"We're getting married!" I exclaimed.

Harry and I were standing in front of everyone, hand in hand, the next evening at dinner. My parents and Alastair already knew, and so I was telling Lucie, James, Matthew, Aunt Tessa, and Uncle Will.

Lucie's mouth fell open, and so did Aunt Tessa's. Matthew had wide eyes, and Uncle Will's cool blue eyes held surprise. James, meanwhile, had gone a sickly pale colour. His golden eyes were filled shock. Lucie, who had now recovered from her shock, ran up and embraced me.

"Congratulations!" She squealed.

After that one by one everyone came and hugged me, and congratulated Harry and I. Matthew made a joke about he didn't want to be an Uncle until he was at least twenty-one, and I glared at him. Lastly, James walked up to us. His eyes were filled with disappointment, and I wondered why.

"Congratulations." He mumbled.

He then hugged me gently, and I was caught up in the scent of him. As soon as it happened, it was over. James went and sat back down beside Matthew, and stared intently at the table cloth.

"When is the wedding?" Aunt Tessa asked, happily.

"We're not sure yet." I said.

Uncle Will then stood up, with his drink in his hand.

"Cheers, to the both you. Congratulations." He said with a smile.

Everyone raised their glasses, and I just smiled happily.