Epilogue: Lucie

1937

"Mother, is grandpa going to be alright?" Violet asked.

Violet was mine and Jesse's ten year old daughter. We also had a younger son named Liam, who was six years old. Currently, the four of us were all in a carriage riding to Yorkshire, were my parents lived. Ten years ago they had given the Institute over to James and Cordelia. My father was not doing well, and my mother said that he wasn't going to make it.

"I'm not sure, V." I said.

I felt Jesse take my hand, his green eyes filled with sadness. My heart was breaking. I could not believe my father was dying. We reached their house quite quick, and we all burst through the front doors. Everyone was gathered in my parents room. My father laid in the bed, looking weak.

"Lucie." He said as soon as he saw me.

I went over and embraced him. I then said my hellos to everyone, hugging both James and Cordelia and the rest of my family. Aunt Cecily and Uncle Gabriel were there, with Christopher and Alexander. Grace was not with Christopher, she must have stayed home with their children.

Aunt Sophie stood there, with Eugenia and Barbara at her side. Uncle Gideon had passed away a few years ago. Aunt Charlotte stood with Charles, Matthew, and her two daughters. Uncle Henry had passed away as well. Finally, there stood my mother looking completely lost and sad. I went over and hugged her.

Everyone then, started to tell stories about father's life. Aunt Cecily recalled how father had said a beautiful speech at her wedding about the groom, then claimed to have thought Aunt Cecily was marrying Gideon and took it all back. She laughed about it while tears streamed down her face.

James and I reminded our father of how he had always been so determined to keep us out of the the ponds with the ducks in it. At that, my father laughed but it turned into a cough. We always remembered how he would always take our mother out on "romantic holidays" for there anniversaries.

I watched amusedly, as my two children and James and Cordelia's son Owen sang the demon pox song that my father had taught them. I had always told them that it was inappropriate, but I let them sing it just this once.

Finally, we all went to the side of my father's bed and kissed him goodbye. When it was my turn, I could not stop the tears the streamed down my face.

"My Lucie." He said, as I hugged him.

"I'm going so miss you so much, father." I said while crying.

"I'll always be with you, my love. No matter what, you cannot get rid of me." He laughed hoarsely.

"I love you, father." I said.

"I love you too, Lucie." He said.

I then kissed him on the cheek, and left his room. As soon as I shut the door I broke down in sobs. James immediately came and hugged me tight. I could feel his tears on my shoulder. After we had pulled away, my son Liam came up to me.

"Mother, is grandpa dying?" He asked.

I bent down and picked him up.

"Yes he is, dear." I said sadly.

"I'll miss him." He said.

"I will too, but he isn't really gone. He's still in our hearts." I said.

"Did he live a good life?" Liam asked.

I smiled. "One of the best."

In that moment, I realized that I shouldn't be sad. My father had gotten to live his entire life, and most of it was filled with happiness. That happiness came from my mother. I knew that as long as my father died with my mother at his side, he would just fine.

It would take me a long time, but I would be able to move from my father's death. As long as I knew that he was happy, that's all that mattered. I held my chin high, and looked down at Liam.

"Come on, Liam. Let's go home."