08

luke

"daddy, what happened to mommy?"

i turned and saw robbie, who was rubbing his eyes.

i carried the little boy and hugged him tight.

"she just had a bad dream, little man." i said.

"like about monsters and bad guys?" he asked.

"yeah, something like that." i said.

"we should fight them daddy." he said. i smiled. i carried him back upstairs to his room and tucked him in.

"well, we will soon fight them back little man." i said.

he smiled and hugged me.

"i love you daddy." he said.

" i love you too. go back to sleep now okay?" i said.

he nodded and i patted his back. he pulled away and laid back down on his bed.

i silently got out if his room and closed the door carefully.

***

i opened the front door and calum got in.

"where's sydney?" he asked.

i closed it and we both went to the living room.

"she's still asleep, robbie too." i said.

we both talked about random stuff and also about jimmy.

"it's been four days." calum said.

"where could that asshole be hiding now? god, i should have just killed him when i had the chance." i said.

"hey, don't start blaming yourself on this, alright?"

"i just.. god, i feel so paranoid right now. sydney's like losing her sanity little by little, and i'm the one who's trying to be strong here for my family."

calum placed his hand at my back.

"luke, i know you're strong. you've always had. you've been there for the girl you love, for her and our best friend's son, you've been here for me." he said.

i looked at calum, and in that moment, i've never been so thankful for this guy, the guy who is one of the people who i have been through a lot with up until now, one of my best friend, a person who i can call a brother.

i hugged calum and wiped the tears from my eyes.

"jesus, luke, don't be such a softie now. we're 26 already, not 16." he joked. i laughed halfheartedly.

~ ;