luke

present day

***

he waited for sydney to come out.

he waited and waited.

he fiddled with his fingers and didn't touch the food that was right in front of him.

he just waited. and waited.

until she came out.

she looked so tired, so weak, so... out of life. yet beautiful. still the same girl that he loved ever since.

the nurses were escorting her towards him. and his face lit up, he tried so hard to be happy, just for her.

when she sat down, she stared at an open space, but she never stared at him.

and it hurt him.

it hurt him to see her in such a situation.

it hurt him to know that she will never love him the way she loved michael.

but he was still there, for her. to make her feel that she wasn't alone.

that despite all the things that happened to them, he was still there.

that even if all of their friends died, that his heart died in pain of longing for her love, he was still there for her.

"how.. how was your day?" luke asked.

he bit his lip, trying hard to conceal the pain he was feeling for so long.

she didn't answer.

ever since calum died, she never had a long conversation with anyone, not even luke.

but he still asked her questions, even if he knows that she wouldn't utter a single word to him.

and maybe that was his life now. he wakes up, go to therapies and group sessions with the psychiatrist, eat the meals, wait for sydney, ask her questions she won't even answer, get hurt, sleep, then start over again.

a repeating process of getting hurt all over and over again.

that was everyday for luke.

"you're worth of all the pain i feel everyday, sydney." he muttered.

and she looked at him. as if she was back to her sanity again.

the bell rang, signaling for them to go back to their rooms.

luke left, disappointed yet he still managed to smile at her.

***

he heard a knock on his door. he wasn't expecting someone at 1:02 am.

it was unusual for someone to be up at this hour.

i haven't done anything, right? luke thought.

and when he tried to twist the knob, he discovered that it wasn't really locked, unlike what they all thought. or maybe it's just dumb luck?

the door opened and there she was, sydney. she hugged him tight.

at first he was shocked to see her. but then he hugged her back.

"what are you doing here?" he asked.

they both got inside and she led him to a corner in a room, and sat down on the floor. luke sat down beside her and silence fell.

"why?" she asked.

her voice sounds throaty, dry. maybe it was because she haven't talked to anyone for a long time.

he looked at her, confused.

"why would you take the pain for me? even if i never asked you to." she asked.

he was thinking of the right words to say, the right words to tell her, how he feels, without hurting her.

he looked at her in the eyes, and faintly smiled.

he cupped her cold cheeks and wiped the tears that were coming out of her eyes.

"no matter how hard i try, i can't replace him in your heart. but i still keep on loving you."

"i will keep on loving you, even if you keep on hurting me. because, like i said, you're worth of all the pain." he said.

and she never did replaced michael.

but it doesn't mean she never learned how to love luke too.

the end.

-

this isn't the ending you guys probably wanted im so sorry :(

anyways thank you so much for all the support :) i'll be posting a new story soon, keep updated :) love lots, k.