Chapter 3

Charlotte POV

I have a new pair of regulars, Steve and Bucky, two men who I find at my shop weekly to get batching of flowers.  

It's odd to say the least but maybe they just want to add more color to their lives!

We find ourselves talking often, but both tend to want me to explain the meaning or significance of the followers that come in, or just want me to choose for them. 

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind talking about plants for hours, nor do I mind helping them, but something about the two seems weird.

But that's behind me, it's a new day and I am heading to my local hospital to volunteer. 

I volunteer often, at shelters, within the community, at the school, and in shelters. Where ever I can help, I'm there!

While I once felt empty, seeing the joy and comfort I deliver to people, animals and plants fills me with a sense of clarity and joy. It's what helped me crawl out of my deep depression. 

When I went running for answers, I found myself here, helping the needy and alone. 

Something that I needed I guess.

Stepping into the building, the fresh scent of disinfected and medicine fill the air. When I was here years ago, the day I stared death in the face after popping too many pills to meet my end, I used to call this strong scent death.

Now it all seems normal, now I'm not running to his arms, and now I'm not asking for his comfort. As odd as this sounds, I hope Death is watching, cheering me on to the end of the line, to the end of a long long life. 

Stepping to the front desk I smile at the warm smile that spreads across the thick woman's features as she sees me.

"Charlotte! It's good to see you!"

I smile, "It's good to see you too Evelyn!"

Handing me the clipboard I fill out the proper forms, taking it back she smiles, "You can head into the locker room."

I nod, "Thank you!"

Heading to the back, I slip on my scrubs with volunteer edged on the back of my shirt. Slipping on my sticker name tag, I step into the back to meet with my station nurse. Leading me to the elderly patients, I see a few more nurses and another volunteer helping them move and keeping them occupied.

My favorite part about being with the elderly is their personality, I've met a lot of old people and they always seem to feel at ease when I step into the room. Even Racist Susan, the most ancient of them all continues to compliment me on how good of a salve with the hard R I am. 

None of the nurses like her, but she has no family and is standing at death's door so we deal with her. 

I would do my best to entertain them, feed them if need be or just keep them company. One of my greatest joys is telling Susan about the free world and how many white people work in the fields. 

She gets all red and frustrated which gives me a little bit of joy seeing as her actions and words reveal her ugly past. 

No more, when my time was up, I bid everyone farewell, promising to bring more yarn for their activities. Walking back home, I slip on an earbud, listening to Marina and the Diamonds as the breeze of spring rest on my skin. Seeing someone in front of my shop, I squint my eyes, recognizing the plain shirt and pants.

"Steve?"

He looks over at me, "Charlotte!"

I walk over to him, before I can say anything he speaks up, "The sign said you'd be back in five minutes, so I waited."

Stepping aside I smile, "The line much be long at the cafe, here to pick up an order?"

Feeling him follow behind he nods, "I do, it's been a busy day."

Putting my bag down I tap away on the pad, "Ah, here it is, a dozen tulips, I'll get right on it."

He nods, "Thank you."

Hearing the bell jingle, I see Maria coming back in a rush with a coffee in hand. "Sorry I'm late, the high schoolers came in in droves."

Walking past Steve she looks up at him, "Ah it's you again!"

I chuckle, wrapping up the brightly colored flowers, Maria places her bag in the back, "How was the hospital?"

"Peaceful at always!"

Tapping away on the pad, I look up at him and smile, but there he is again staring at me, "You ok?"

He snaps out of it, ears flushed, making me chuckle, "You got to get that checked out Steve, I was starting to think I lost you there."

Handing him the flowers he smiles, "Sorry, I just lose myself sometimes."

"No need to apologize, I hope you have an amazing day!"

"You too."

Stepping out of the shop, I turn to see Maria giving me a clever smirk, "He likes you! Him and that other tough guy!"

She marches over to me, "They come here almost every day at this point, why the hell would they need so many flowers girl!"

I shake my head, "I honestly think it's a bit creepy Maria."

"What?!"

"Think about it, they keep coming here to get all these flowers for various reasons, they keep staring at me, and one of them wears leather gloves everywhere. That alone screams psycho murder!"

Saying out loud makes me feel even more uncomfortable, I don't want them to mistake my kindness for something more. 

Looking at Maria worryingly she gives me a measuring smile, "Don't worry, you know I'm here to help."

I'm thankful for her support, but I fear for the worst. I live alone, and while I'm in a neighborhood what if they're prepared, what if they're watching me right now? 

I don't want to risk it, I just got my life back, I don't want to lose it to two fuckers who scare the shit out of me.