Chapter 24

Charlotte POV

Sitting at the dinner table, I eat a fusion of Mexican and African food. My parents drill the two about their lives and jobs and such.

Growing more and more impressed by what they hear.

"You have a haram of superhuman men! Oh lord, my daughter has taken your people!"

"DAD!"

Fuck this man is going to give me a fucking heart attack. Steve and Bucky adjusted nicely to the family being welcomed fully.

Mom gives me a devious smirk, "You have two husbands so I better see twice the number of grandbabies, you hear me? No excuses!"

"MOM!"

Dad clinches his chest, "Oh lord!"

I cover my face, making Steve rub my back in comfort and Bucky grip my thigh in hunger.

It's official, I'm going to die tonight.

After dinner, Bucky and Steve slip into the guest bedroom, leaving me alone with my parents.

Pouring me a glass of wine, I smile, as we sit around the fire on the beach.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

Dad speaks up, "We're sorry, you didn't feel like you could tell us."

I look at him, "No, I just-"

"Charlotte, my sweet flower, it's ok. I'm glad you came to us, in the end."

I give them a sad smile, feeling bad for keeping it so long from them, "There's more."

Looking at the fire, I frown, "I was taken, something about my blood being compatible with the project that's long gone. They changed me, they hurt me, I was in the dark for a long time."

Holding up the wine glass to the light of the moon, I freeze the class and the wine in it.

I can feel their gaze, "Bucky and Steve saved me, helped me heal, put the pieces together. I'm better now, it doesn't control me, this doesn't control me."

Absorbing the ice, the class is clear, and the wine chilled to perfection. Looking at them I can see the pain behind their eyes.

Dad stands walking over to me, "My sweet flower, I'm so sorry."

I cry a bit, holding him close. I felt like a little girl at that moment.

Feeling Mom wraps her arms around me from behind, their warmth sends me back to the past. Of the days in my dark mind, the innocence of a child, and the birth of a smile.

Parting from me, I wipe my tears, "I'm scared to have kids, I'm scared I can't. What if they can't function or get seen as a monster? I don't want them to be a target or fear the world."

Mom rubs my back, "They will be perfect no matter what, whether you have them or not."

Dad continues, "We'll love them no matter what, even if they're not by blood."

Looking at them I smile, "Thank you."

Why didn't I do this sooner?

Why do I let fear control me?

I guess that's what comes with being human.

But remember this, and read this good, I will not let fear control me, because I'm not alone and I never will be.

The next morning I wake up alone, rolling around in bed, I yawn, slipping into the bathroom to take a quick shower. Finally checking my phone, I curse under my breath, seeing that I slept the whole day away.

Walking back into the bedroom I see a white box on top of the messy blankets. I read the note, "Put this on and come downstairs, Mom."

Raising an eyebrow I gasp at the sight of a beautiful white dress. It's simple, nothing grand but long with flowy tulle sleeves that realigned at where my wrist would be. Holding the dress close, I smile, slipping it on with ease. Looking in the mirror, I let my long locs down, using a few strands to lock them in place.

Stepping out of my bedroom, I see a small table with a box on top and a note. Opening the box, I see a beautiful diamond necklace. Reading the note my eyes water, "I bought this the day you were born, hoping to see you wear it one day in a beautiful long dress, Dad."

Slipping it on with the matching earrings, I follow the colorful petals, that lead me downstairs. Seeing Dad holding a bouquet of petunias, daffodils, and carnations. Smiling at him, he holds out his hand.

Taking it, we lock arms, holding the bouquet close the doors open revealing a long train. And at the end, my husband, hearing the smooth music play from the speakers, gives me away. We share our vows, making me cry with joy.

Helping each other put on our rings, a Hispanic man speaks softly, telling us we may kiss. Their touch is warm and loving, and the cheers from my family.

I just had a wedding, official or not, I just had a wedding.

And I can't stop crying.

This day, this moment is what I will live in forever.

1 1/2 years later

Staring at the white cat, I find it amusing as Alpine makes biscuits on my large belly. I've been relaxing my feet, after the long graduation and the loud cheering.

A lot has happened, so let me catch you up.

For one, we moved out of the little apartment and into an actual home uptown. A wedding gift from Tony of all people who frequently calls me Elsa. With our new home and our failed attempts to have children, we decided to adopt.

A teenage boy, named William, a rebel but with the right love he warmed up to us. And a little girl, Dominique, she's about 5 years old, and she just graduated from Kindergarten. She's currently out in the backyard, jumping around in her bouncy house in her beautiful purple dress.

I can hear her laughter, and see her perfect curled afro bending and bouncing from her rough play. After Steve, Bucky, and I decided to stop trying, I got pregnant. Our beautiful baby boy, John Rogers-Barnes.

Basic name I know, but it's stuck on me.

Petting Alpine I smile, "Thank you, girl."

She meows, purring gently, "How are you doing Doll?"

Looking up I see Bucky coming my way with a bowl of ice cream cake in hand.

"Amazing, as always."

Pecking his lips, he smiles, "Steve is getting beat up by Will and Dominique."

I laugh a bit, taking a bite of the vanilla, "Ah yes, his greatest enemies."

Hearing the door open, I look over to see Steve hiding, I giggle, "Ah look who decided to join us."

"Hey, Baby."

Pecking my lips he smiles, before he can say anything else the kids rush in, latching on Steve's back. Alpine rushes to Bucky's shoulder, making me laugh, "Will, Dominique!"

Rushing looking up at me, I smile, "He's most ticklish behind his ear."

They smile, "Thank you!"

"You're going down!"

Tickling him, I laugh at the sight, helping me stand, I hold onto Bucky's arms watching as Steve picks them up, dropping them on the couch.

I chuckle at his victorious grin.

It's moments like these, I'm glad they noticed me.