Chapter 20

Mature Content Ahead

Charlotte POV

Things have been getting back to normal, I've been working in the shop again, giving Maria a hefty raise and bonus for holding down the fort. She tried to fight me on it since I was kidnapped but I went through with it anyway.

I'm learning to control my abilities as well, I would do training exercises with Natasha. Seeing as my powers are connected to my emotions we've been doing Yoga, meditation and pilates. Learning to control my breath and recognize my emotions have allowed me to feel the warmth of the sun again.

To feel the burn off coffee slipping down my throat, or the spices of curry and the burn of fire. Learning to accept my abilities, Nat convinces me to try to use it. But it only ended with me freezing the entire room.

It scares me.

Since then I've never done it again.

Let's...move on.

I've even started volunteering again, working at the hospital, helping at events, reconnecting with the community. It's been amazing, sometimes when I get nervous, ice would form, especially when I lie.

I've been having to do a lot of that lately.

I hate it, lying to Maria, my sister, my parents and friends.

But today is a special day, today is the day, I'm surpassing Steve for his birthday. Granted it's September, but I missed it, and I'm super excited to make it up. I've been telling the two for the last month that I don't want to celebrate my birthday, and they finally agreed.

With a gift in my bag, and his favorite cake flavor in hand, I open my front door. Going through the long process of locking up, I head upstairs.

"I'm home!"

I hear Bucky's voice, "We're in the kitchen!"

Rushing upstairs, I smile, only for it to drop at the sight of Maria, Sam, even Mr. Singh.

"Happy birthday!"

My shoulders drop, I give them a soft smile, "Thank you but it's not my birthday."

I walk up to Steve revealing the custom cake, "Happy Birthday Steve."

He smiles softly, "Baby girl, it's your birthday."

I shake my head, "I don't want a birthday, I missed yours, I wanna celebrate yours."

I look at him and Bucky, "I thought I was being clear?"

Maria steps in, "This is kinda my fault, I told the guys that when a girl says she doesn't want something like a gift or a party, they secretly want one."

I laugh a bit, "I understand."

Steve shakes his head, "No, it's your day."

"Then my birthday wish is to celebrate yours, my birthday wish is to be happy."

Placing the cake no the table I open my bag, "I got you birthday gifts too."

"Thank you Charlotte."

The party continues, playing games on the Wii, eating, drinking and talking until the we hours of the night. While I escort everyone out I head upstairs, my eyes widen, "Steve what are you eating?"

He looks up at me innocently, "This fancy chocolate I found in the cabinet."

Bucky seem curious, "What's wrong Doll?"

I rub the back of my neck, "Well, that's sex chocolate."

"What chocolate?"

"Chocolate that makes you incredibly horny."