Chapter 4

Charlotte POV

I miss the fucking sun. 

I miss going out and tending to the plants.

But here I am stuck on numbers while Maria helps the customers out front. All of this to hide from the two men who find themselves here more frequently than not. Now I do have some plants and herbs that don't need much sunlight in here but it's not the same.

I've been doing a good job avoiding them, hearing them speak from time to time. They've even tried to come around closing which has become even more troublesome seeing as I have to hide out until I feel comfortable enough to go upstairs.

After a week or so, of them not coming around, Maria and I think it's safe enough for me to come out from the shadows. 

Happy the two haven't come by, I head to the coffee shop to get us some drinks. On my way there I notice the two sitting by the window.

Talking to each other comfortably, I whisper to myself, "I didn't know they were friends."

Alarms go off in my head, making me turn around.

What if they're working together?

What if they're targeting me, heading back to the shop feeling worried and shaken, I ask for Maria to close up the shop for me. 

Heading to my car, I drive off to the nearest Walmart, buying a taser and pepper spray. Slipping it into my bag I head back to my car. Sitting in silence, I twist the root of my lock nervously. 

I need to be prepared, for the worst.

I stayed home on Saturday, too scared to leave my home, but Sunday I put on my big girl pants and went outside. I already agreed to volunteer at the park, I can't skip out now.

It's basically Field Day for the kids, we have stations set up, like arts and crafts, sporting events, tech, mechanics, and of course food. Everyone chipped in to help so that this could be a great experience for the children teens and adults. 

Everyone comes together, from the shops to the restaurants, making it one of the many big events of the year.

Plus it allows the kids to relax before their big end-of-the-year test.

Slipping on some denim shorts and a plain white T-shirt, I slip outside with my bag in hand. Heading there early, scenarios of Steve and Bucky coming to get me run through my head, and how I would defend myself.

The walk felt like a thousand years, but here I am. Taking a deep breath I look up at the sky, "Please give me strength."

Walking through the park, the makeshift stage and stands were getting set up by the adults and volunteers. I helped where I can, even setting up the field for Soccer, Baseball, and Football.

Working with Jacob, the manager at Computers and More, we set up the sound system since he was finished with his booth. 

Seeing everyone starting to flood in, we finished up a few more things. Waiting for the clock to strike Noon. Filling up the park, Jacob hands me the mic, encouraging me to speak to everyone, to start the event.

"Hello everyone! How is everyone feeling!"

They cheer, "Amazing! Before we start the activities let me remind you that the nurses' station is beside the stage, all snacks are near the oak tree and we'll be serving food right before sundown! Now let Field Day begin!"

Cheering, the kids go ham, running to their stations, and locations to have fun and relax. Everything is going smoothly, I'm helping where I can, coaching the Blue soccer team, and making sure the kids were safe and happy.