31

"tae." jeongguk calls, walking closer to the said male in the wide, lush, green field. taehyung didn't answer him but kept patting his daughter's back and stroking the pup's fur who sat beside him. the rest of the children he could see were playing with joohyun, hoseok, and a few other pack members.

"taehyung," he calls out to the male again who is staring off into the distance, working absentmindedly. his eyes looked lost. jeongguk could smell the distraught emitting from the male.

he places a hand on the male's shoulder who flinches, eyes wide. taehyung turns and faces the alpha, a sheepish, apologetic look on his face.

"hey, gguk. have you been here long? i'm sorry. i was busy with the kids. is something wrong?" he asks, eyebrows furrowing in concern.

"are you okay? you can talk to me. you know that right?" jeongguk asks, sitting beside his mate crisscross applesauce and placing a kiss on his cheek. he lifts the child from his mate's arm and pats her bag as she whines.

"it's okay baby. daddy's got you," he mumbles, now rocking the child and cooing.

taehyung smiles, staring at the male, his heart doing all sorts of things in accordance with his stomach that wanted to lurch out in a good way. how had he missed this in the beginning? to think that he had considered ending their relationship.

it was still gonna happen anyway with jungkook and there was nothing he could do to stop it. he couldn't change the man's mind. unless...

taehyung looks at the male sitting beside him, he also looks at his friends and children that were playing in the field. no jungkook. he could talk to jungkook. get him to understand that he was sorry. they could work this out. the ritual was unnecessary.

they had something they could build. something new that he was so stupid to let himself build on because he was scared of being hurt. not anymore. there was so much they could get from not defaulting on this bond.

his eyes scan his surroundings again. he could feel jungkook. his presence very strong. his scent very strong in the air and yet, he couldn't be seen.

"i'll be back." he says, placing a kiss on jeongguk's cheek and rising from the lush grass. he keeps searching. where was jungkook?

he finds the male sitting behind a tree, eyes focused on jeongguk and their pups. he also watches taehyung as the male draws close. as soon as taehyung stands in front of him, he rises from the ground and starts walking away.

"jungkook! wait!" taehyung calls out, hands reaching out to the said male. his hands turn to fists as they fall to his sides. he swallows, squeezing his eyes shut.

"what do you want taehyung?" jungkook asks, head bowed and teeth grinding against each other.

"i..." the human trails, squeezing his hands, "we..." he trails again, swallowing again, "can..."

"if you have nothing to say taehyung–"

"please. don't end this. can we not end this–"

"it's too late for that taehyung. i made up my mind. things are being set up for the ritual as we speak." jungkook grits out and then turns to face taehyung, "this is what you've always wanted tae. i'm giving you what you want. i'm letting you go. why? why are you doing this now?"

"because i was stupid before. heck, i've always been so stupid. i was scared of getting hurt before. now, now i know that it was wrong to feel that way. we have a family jungkook. eight kids and... i can't imagine my life without you or your brother in it. i couldn't care less if i got hurt–"

"i don't care how you feel anymore taehyung. this isn't just about you anymore. i... i don't want this bond. not anymore. i'm going to hurt you like you feared. it's going to happen. just... give me some space. please!" jungkook says, shaking his head and running off.

taehyung's eyes water as he watches the alpha runoff, his heart thudding harshly in his chest, "jungkook!" he calls out. only the harsh breeze slaps him in the face.

"he's never loved you. he never will. you don't deserve him."

taehyung nods to himself, the voice in his head getting louder, still repeating the same words and getting harsher.

he shakes his head. jungkook does love him. maybe he hadn't said it and that was okay. he didn't need to. he could feel it. his actions, motions, and everything showed that he loved him. but nothing else could be done. the preparation for the ritual was ongoing. his hand falls on jungkook's mate mark on his neck. he was going to lose the mark

"tae..." a familiar voice calls. taehyung feels himself melt as he turns to face his other mate, his lips wobbling as he tries to lock in his sobs.

"gguk... he- i- i can't–" he stammers, falling into the open arms of his his mate. jeongguk plays with the crying male's hair, placing light kisses on his hair and caressing his back.

"it's okay baby. i'll talk to him before the ritual the day after tomorrow."

"it's that soon?" taehyung asks, feeling his heart crack all over again from the beginning.

"sadly, yes. i'll talk to him to change his mind. he's not... he hasn't been himself for a while. not acting like the jungkook i know and while i'm pissed at him, it's bothering me."

"w-what do you mean?" taehyung asks, curiosity flooding his brown irises. jeongguk pats his back, placing a kiss on his forehead and wiping the tears that had fallen down his cheeks.

"you need to rest bubba. i'll talk to him. go say goodbye to the kids and take a nap."

"what do you mean by he's different?" taehyung asks again, anxious for answers.

"tae, you need to rest. don't argue with me on this." jeongguk says, pushing the human towards the field where their friends and their kids were playing.

he runs off after whispering to namjoon and taehyung watches, curiosity plastered on his features as he watches his other mate run farther away from him.

"he's never loved you. he never will. you don't deserve him."

taehyung nods again, he believed the voice this time. jeongguk ran too. there was no need to stop jungkook from carrying out the ritual.

the ritual needed to happen. he understood it now.

_____

hi.

another update.

lemme know your thoughts please?

hopefully, the next chapter will be more eventful than this one

'peace out 💟