CH. 2

"Lia, listen." Yeji's sigh of exasperation filled the crisp evening air, and it was music to Ryujin's ears.

Well, perhaps not the self-deprecating tone of the conversation, but Yeji's low, even voice was just...something else.

Shin Ryujin was not an eavesdropper.

Okay, so maybe she liked to listen in on the drama her friends would dish every now and then, but a fully-fledged eavesdropper? Certainly not.

Ryujin just happened to be airing and drying out some paintings on her balcony.

At the same time Yeji was out on hers, bothering Jisu on the phone.

It was all just a coincidence.

It especially wasn't because Ryujin had gotten frustrated after knocking on Yeji's door several billion times without a response. That definitely wasn't it.

"Lia, I'm not giving up." Yeji sighed. Ryujin quietly took in her beautiful figure, leaned over the railing, phone in hand as she gazed off into the distant horizon. "It's just...It's going to become difficult to make ends meet. I mean, pretty soon...I think I'll have to move."

Ryujin felt her heart drop. Move?

Okay, now she was eavesdropping.

"No, Jisu...I don't need your handouts. You've invested enough in this company." Yeji sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

Ryujin bit her lip when one of her paintings began sliding over.

Her cover was blown.

She caught it, but not before it hit the balcony railing with a loud ding, causing Yeji to whip around in surprise.

Ryujin's cheeks burned as Yeji's brown gaze found her own in surprise.

"Lia? Can I call you back?" Yeji asked gently, an amused smile on her full lips. She hung up after that, coming over to the far end of her balcony, so that she was right beside Ryujin's.

"I have never found 'dork' to be a more fitting title for you." Yeji mused, folding her arms over the railing as she watched Ryujin salvage the painting sheepishly.

"Sorry for uh...ruining your call." Ryujin mumbled, glancing at the now very ruined rose she'd painted out of sheer boredom while Yeji hadn't answered her door.

"Sorry for ruining your painting." Yeji responded wryly. She knew she had a little hand in that.

Ryujin rolled her eyes. "We both know it was my amazing hand eye coordination. Well great, guess I have to make a trip to the dumpster."

Yeji smirked. "Couldn't you just...stack it, like you do with all the other trash in your apartment?"

Ryujin stuck out her tongue childishly. "I'll have you know, I cleaned it out this morning."

"And you haven't invited me over?" Yeji teased in a faux hurt manner. "I'd love to see your...new place."

Ryujin bit her lip. "Well...actually...I've been trying to get a hold of you like...All day."

Yeji glanced up in surprise, her lips forming a gentle frown. "Really?"

Ryujin nodded awkwardly. "Yeah...I uh...called, but I think you're busy with work stuff."

"Did you knock?" Yeji asked in surprise. Ryujin usually just walked in with leftover pizza whenever she wanted to hang out.

Ryujin watched the way the breeze gently tossed strands of Yeji's brunette hair behind her. She was glorious in the early evening glow. She wanted nothing more than to freeze that moment in time and capture her essence with the paints she had.