CH. 23

"Where are you? Where are you where are where are you-" Chaeryeong mumbled to herself, eyes peeled as she stared at her phone, occasionally peering up to see if Ryujin was alright.

Ryujin had cried herself to sleep, but she hadn't officially slept until about five in the morning, desperately waiting for a call, or a text that never came.

Chaeryeong could hear her dejected sniffling all through the night, from where she'd parked herself on the couch.

All Ryujin had gotten from Chaeryeong was that: Jisu was alright, and that Yeji was long gone. With that news registering in her addled brain, she simply stopped the thoughts that plagued her before, and curled into a deep sleep, likely dreaming of Yeji.

She'd told Chaeryeong to go back to her own room, and to just leave her in peace.

Chaeryeong, with a heavy heart and an even heavier conscience, had done just that, checking on Ryujin one last time before slipping into her own room, waiting nervously for Jisu and Yeji, who'd been keeping her updated via text.

She had no idea what they'd been planning, but it had to be damn good. Ryujin was just about in shambles, and Chaeryeong knew her to be a tough one.

So, it was no surprise when, an hour later, that Chaeryeong heard a tentative knock on her hotel room door. Chaeryeong checked to see Jisu and Yeji through the peephole, suitcase dragged behind them, looking absolutely exhausted in every sense of the word.

Chaeryeong flung the door open, yanking them inside, shutting it quickly behind her.

"What is the matter with you?" Chaeryeong hissed, turning to face Yeji.

"Chaeryeong." Jisu clicked her tongue in annoyance.

Yeji just blinked knowingly, the guilt evident on her features. "I messed up."

"Hell yeah you did!" Chaeryeong whisper-yelled, as if she were fearful that Ryujin could hear them from next door.

"She already got a tongue lashing from just about everyone." Jisu rolled her eyes. "Cut the theatrics."

"Hey," Chaeryeong grumbled. "I'm Ryujin's best friend."

"She is, actually." Jisu jerked her head towards Yeji.

Chaeryeong rolled her eyes. "Listen." She poked Yeji in the chest, though it had been well established that Yeji was singlehandedly capable of kicking her ass. "I don't know what the hell you think you're doing, but I know you took the check. Why are you back here?"

Yeji took in a sharp breath. "Chaeryeong-"

"Ryujin loved you! Loves you! And you, what? Hit it and then quit it? On her birthday?"

Yeji winced at that. "I was scared, I wasn't thinking, I- I... Chaeryeong-"

"You know what? I mean, you've got some nerve coming back here at all, let alone asking for me to-"

"Chaeryeong." Yeji sighed as she reached into her pocket, carefully unveiling what she and Jisu had just so painstakingly suffered to buy.

"Is that....?" Chaeryeong breathed, eyes going wide, a faint hint of a smile pulling at her lips.

"Yes." Yeji replied calmly. "I need to see her."

"Yeah?" Chaeryeong blinked. "Did you-uh- did you try her door?" She seemed absolutely stunned.

"It was locked." Jisu sighed. "Ryujin's not answering. We tried calling her."

"I think she's asleep." Chaeryeong nodded. "Poor kid was up all night waiting for your ass." She jerked her head to Yeji, who bit her lip in shame.