CH. 14

Yeji didn't know what to regard with more awe: Keith and Lana's suite and the immensity of it, or the fact that Ryujin seemed absolutely unfazed by it, instead urging Yeji to down a drink with her as they warmed up for the evening.

Yeji had never actually seen such a dysfunctional, yet somehow cohesive family. What they lacked in shared blood they more than made up for in memories and bonding, and Yeji found that it was so easy to assimilate.

So easy to fool herself into thinking she was one of them.

So easy to believe she was Ryujin's, and Ryujin was hers.

Yeji felt an arm on her shoulder and turned to see Lana, who was grinning wickedly at her.

"Hey honey." She placed a quick kiss to Ryujin's head in greeting, and then one to Yeji's.

Yeji blinked in surprise.

How rapidly Lana had warmed up once she'd seen enough of Yeji to know that she was no longer a threat.

"Ready to get your asses kicked?" She smirked.

Yeji couldn't formulate a proper response in time.

"Mom!" Ryujin batted her hand away. "Could you maybe try not scaring my girlfriend off?

"Sorry." Keith chuckled from behind Lana, pulling his wife aside, making a drinking motion with his hand, winking at Ryujin.

"Jesus." Ryujin muttered, turning away. "So. Embarrassing."

Yeji grinned at Ryujin, clearly amused by their antics, but mostly by Ryujin's blush. "Cherish this." She reminded teasingly.

"Hey. Yeji." Ryujin tugged her down. "Shut up."

Yeji smiled and then her breath hitched, because Ryujin's lips fell on hers, and she melted into the soft little kiss, forcing away her frown.

"What was that for?" Yeji breathed softly.

"Idiot squad was watching." Ryujin shrugged breathlessly, jerking her head over to where the group had gathered.

Ryujin tugged Yeji by her wrist, leading her to her friends, who'd gathered into their typical little circle.

Karina sat proudly on Jefri's lap, stupidly blissful smiles still on either of their faces.

Ryujin regarded them with a smile, feeling the slight sting of envy in her chest. She was beyond happy for Jefri and Karina, really, she was. But the fact that they had their lives so together, that's what bothered her.

Sunoo and Ri-ki were sitting beside one another, laughing at something no doubt idiotic on Sunoo's phone, only noticing Ryujin and Yeji's arrival when Sunoo looked up and stared at Yeji perhaps a second too long for Ryujin's liking.

Chan, Felix, and Changbin were gathered around the TV, eyes glued to the basketball game as if it were life itself. Ryujin saw Yeji's eyes flicker to the screen curiously, smirking to herself. Yeji was a nerd and a jock, both shy and bold. Ryujin's best friend was an enigma.

Ryujin eyed the one empty seat left and sat on it, patting her lap with a smile up at Yeji.

Yeji merely glanced at her, brows raised in surprise.

"Come on." Ryujin rolled her eyes. "It's comfortable, I promise."

"Ryujin, I weigh more than you thi- OH!" Yeji tripped underneath Ryujin's extended ankle, sailing through the air as she landed safely onto Ryujin's lap, now tightly secured by the blonde's embrace.

Yeji let out a huff and Ryujin grinned into her shoulder, as Yeji could feel the pull of Ryujin's lips sending shivers down her spine.

"We're supposed to be a couple." Ryujin reminded in her ear.