Chapter 20

I carefully enter the black car, the door closing as soon as I have entered. I look out of the window and sight my family standing at the door, fear visible on their faces. My mom was weeping silently as dad hugged her close to him. I gulp audibly, my emotions mixed. 

Josh was kind enough to give me an hour to bath and to look atleast presentable. He made it clear, however, that the whole 'me going with him' was NOT optional.

I know I'm supposed to be scared and should've tried to retaliate on being forced out of my home to meet a Grand Lord who was supposed to be dead, but I couldn't. I really wanted to see her, to make sure that she was really alive. 

Josh was in a different car. I had hoped that he would ride with me because I had some questions to ask him. There was a guard sitting on the passenger sit talking to the driver in a language I didn't recognise. I got bored and ended up falling asleep.

I am woken by someone shaking me lightly. I sit up and rub my eyes. Oh God, I hope I didn't embarrass myself. I open my eyes to meet Josh staring down at me, a gentle smile on his face as he stood with his hand balanced on the now open car door. 

"I'm sorry. Centurion would kill me if she heard that I woke you up," he says, chuckling like a little boy. I give him a small smile.

"Then you better give me a good reason for me to not kill you," a voice says behind him, making my body stiffen as my heart rate quickens. Josh moves back and turns his back on me, allowing me to see the woman who has stolen my life. 

"Would you prefer I carried her up the stairs in her sleep like a princess?" Josh asks, a smirk playing on his lips as he looks at Christina. She has on Blue sweatpants and a black sports bra. She also had on a diced black and white shirt unbuttoned.

"I'd pretty much prefer it if you disappeared from here before I separate your head from your neck," she says, standing infront of Josh with her hands held infront of her. Josh chuckles and bows his head. "I'll be off, see you soon boss,"

"My lady, it was great to finally meet you. Stay well," Josh says as he turns to me, bowing slightly before getting into his car and driving out. I keep my eyes on Christina. She looks fine for someone who was allegedly shot twice on her stomach. She does have a big red mark on her stomach though. But other than that, she looks pretty good.

She turns and looks at me, a small smile playing on her lips as her eyes look at me lovingly. I stay in the car, not sure of what to do. The driver and guard have already exited the car. She moves to the other side and enters, making me turn to look at her. 

"Hey," she says, her voice low and calm as she sits closer to me. I blush, not trusting my own voice. "You're alive," is all I can say as my mind is still foggy. 

"It would appear so," she responds, chuckling as she takes my hand in hers. Her eyes glue to mine, darkness visible on them. "I'd like to believe that you were not part of your family's plot to kill me," she says, her voice suddenly cold and intimidating. 

"I wasn't. I swear," I tell her honestly, my heart beating fast. She looks at me, before her head drops down as she kisses the back of my hand. "Let's get you inside," she says, letting go of my hand and exiting the car. 

I release a breath I didn't know I was holding and wait for the door to be opened for me. I wonder how long she'll keep me here. I keep taking long breaths with the aim of calming my drumming heart. Lord have mercy.