Entry 7

I woke up to my alarm screaming at me. I held it in my hand as I silently threatened to throw it against my wall.

I dropped my head against my pillow and thought back to last night.

When I talked to her about my painting, it was different. It was different from the feeling I always got when I tried to talk to people. Every time I opened my mouth before, I felt like I was trying to write in chalk underwater. With her, it was like I finally found a permanent marker and dry land. She made me want to draw, paint, write, even sing.

I picked up my phone and opened my messages. Right when I was about to text Emma, one popped up from Stew.

Him: I hear that you had a date last night?

Me: What? From who?

Him: Someone was eating with their parents and saw you I guess.

Me: Shit. Yeah, I was with that new girl.

Him: Her name is Emma, right?

Me: Yeah. Emma McKenzie.

Him: Okay, so apparently she's really questionable. Do you have time to hang out today?

Me: What do you mean? What type of questionable?

Him: It's her permanent record. There's theft, MIP's, trespassing, breaking and entering, and more.

Me: She really doesn't seem like that type. Maybe trespassing, but I couldn't see her committing any real crimes. These are all probably just rumors.

Him: Maybe, but I don't really know. There's gotta be a reason she could just appear here like that.

Me: Well, I'll ask her, but I doubt anything like that happened.

Him: Maybe. I'll see you in class.

I backed out of my messages, deleted my one to Emma, and got ready for school. Like always, I had to get ready in five minutes or less to get there on time. I rushed down to my kitchen, said goodbye to my parents, and headed out the door.

I couldn't stop thinking about what Stew said. I thought about it through the entire school day. I tried to imagine her being a criminal, but I couldn't. Maybe she was framed, maybe she was just a kid, maybe she was doing it to save her mother.

I thought about it all that night until I finally got tired of thinking. I wanted to get out of my house and get this off my mind.

It was then when I got an idea. I quickly rushed over to my computer and pulled up a page about lunar cycles. I was sure the last new moon was roughly a month ago, but I had to be sure. I checked the cycle and I was right. Tonight was the third night of a new moon, and it would be barely visible from the ground.

This means a lot of things, but I only care about one of them: stars. With new moons come stars, and lots of them. I pulled out my phone and dialed the first name that came to mind.

Before realizing what I had done, a voice picked up.

"Hello?"

"Uh, hey. Emma?"

"No, you must have the wrong number," she said, her voice sounding slightly groggy, "this is actually the Pope. You must be looking for Emma McKenzie. I don't blame you, I hear she's super pretty and funny."

I laughed under my breath. "Did I wake you up?"

"No, I've been up. I was just further researching time dilation. Pretty interesting stuff." she paused. "I'm glad you called, I was actually just about to call you."