Entry 14

I woke up in my bed feeling like I got hit by a bus. My sinuses were trying to force a semi-truck through them and my stomach had been disintegrated by its own acids.

Worth it.

I called my mom and told her that I needed some cold medicine and that I wasn't going to school. She sounded worried at first, but after I told her that I thought it might be because of how careless I had been about dressing for cold weather, she eased up. She wanted me to go to school, but not more than she wanted to be right. So she said, "I told you so," I pretended like she got me, and I settled into my bed for the day.

Emma texted me as I was making a pot of tea.

Her: Hey there, how ya feeling?

Me: Like I just died, how about you?

Her: Almost back to normal, actually. That should be good news for you, this won't last long.

Me: Would have been worth it anyway :)

Her: Haha well we should do something. I stayed home because I knew exactly how you would feel. How about I come over?

Me: The Dayquil I just took should buy us some time before I fall asleep again. Just hurry.

Her: Be there in a second. Need to wait until my dad leaves for work.

"You didn't tell me just how bad it would be," I said as she opened the door. "If I would have known that, you would've needed to be a much better kisser to even it out."

"Oh please," She scoffed as she poured herself a cup of tea. "It wouldn't matter if I had to be quarantined. You're a teenager. And a dude."

We tried and failed at making lunch ourselves as I filled another wastebasket with tissues. We ended up ordering some spicy soup at the closest Chinese takeout restaurant, and she went to pick it up.

We crashed on the couch after we finished lunch to watch tv. I held her the same way I did the night before. We chatted and decided to part ways for an hour so I could take a nap. I wished she would have offered to stay anyway, but apparently she also had some work to do too. I emailed teachers about my absence while I tried to go to sleep, making empty promises to watch the videos they sent me about their lectures.

Eventually, my eyes couldn't take it anymore, and I drifted off.

--

I woke up to my mom bustling through the door. Confused, I looked at the clock beside my bed. It was almost 6:00pm. Outside it was almost entirely dark, and I had five missed calls from Emma.

I was about to call her back when I felt something on my forehead. I reached my hand up to feel it, and I took down a piece of paper that was taped there. Still groggy, I had to squint to see what it said.

Sorry for breaking into your house,

but in my defense you didn't answer my calls and I

was bored. Anyways, goodnight and sleep tight!

Call me when you wake up.

I put it on my bedside table and walked downstairs where my mom was putting away groceries.

"Hey there, mom." Luckily my voice still sounded like death, so she wouldn't suspect anything.

"Oh my gosh, look who's alive! I had your dad come back to check on you around three. He said you were passed out on your bed. How are you feeling?"

"Well, pretty good. I feel like I slept through the 21st century." I joked. "What are we having for dinner?"

"I was going to make soup, does that sound good?"

"Yeah, sure, we already had it for lunch, though."

She thought for a second. "Who is we?"

I panicked. "Oh, just me and my germs, I guess."

I tried to laugh it off. She had other ideas.

"Israel..."

"Okay, fine. Yesterday Emma was sick, and I went over to see her, so today she came over here to keep me company. We ate lunch together."

"Well, for my sanity, I am going to pretend that there is no connection between you and her being sick at the same time. But anyway, what are you thinking? Having a girl over when there are no parents here?"

I hung my head. "Sorry, mom." My m's sounded like they had b's at the end of each one because of my nose, so I hoped that it gained me some sympathy points.

Her face softened. "You know I'm rooting for you two, but there are obviously going to be rules when you're in a relationship." She stopped and continued putting away groceries. "You're grounded for the rest of the week."

I knew there was no arguing, so I accepted it.

"Okay," I said as I hung my head. I started walking out of the kitchen to retreat back up to my room.

"Wait," she said, "just help me with some groceries, and then maybe you're only grounded until Friday after school." She gave me a smile. I returned it.