Babysitter (1)

Sai's face fell, why was she thanking him? Was he doing his friend a hidden favor? "What are friends for?" Sai created his painted bird to make travel quicker. The only reason for stopping was due to seeing kiba wave them down. "Whats going on?" yamato asked as the group all jumped off the mount. Sai helped her down and she thanked him once again as the two approached kiba and the rest of their team

"Sasuke got away, we arent sure about the condition of him and itachi. How did it go with the akatsuki member?" the team remained silent as kiba took the hint. "Figures." kiba shook his head as Naruto hit his fist on the tree trunk he stood next to. Knowing her best friend had slipped away again, she wanted to hurry back to the village to bury her father. He deserved that at the very least. Sai looked at her poker face before he held out a hand as she looked at him and the bird. Grasping it, she jumped on the bird with him sitting behind her.

"Its about time that we return to the village, we have lost his trail." kakashi flicked his wrist as the team ran. Sai and the woman riding the flying mount gave them the chance to speak. He carried the conversation and she merely responded to what he said. "So who is this man? You seem down after seeing him die. Or did you have to kill him?" his voice was hushed as he whispered in her ear. "Would that matter to the mission?" she asked as Sai flinched at the coldness of his tone. "Not in particular. I just dont like how detached you seemed. No one else may have noticed but I did. They will blame you not finding sasuke but its that man. Who looks a lot like you." he paused when she spoke up.

"Can I trust you sai? Please tell me you wont betray me." Sai was happy that he couldn't see her face. He could feel how thin the thread was, from her cracking. "You can trust me. If I ever do betray you, then kill me." hearing the declaration made her smile. Because she knew that even if he said that, he would likely betray her if danzo demanded him to. "Thank you sai."

The mount was landed when the team stop moving. "Whats going on?" she asked as she saw Naruto sigh. "Looks like we have another mission to go on. But what confuses me is that you arent coming." naruto pouted as sakura also sighed. "She was injured badly. So she needs treatment before she can just run around willy nilly naruto." the blonde looked away. "I know I know. I just like having her around. She doesnt beat me up like you do." sakura blushed as some of the team laughed.

"Naruto!" the pinkette exclaimed as (y/n) chuckled and hugged them both. "You two be safe alright. Ill heal and join on the next mission." she pulled away and noticed the downcasted look on Sai's face. "You two, try not to fight with sakura while im away. Ill see you 3 soon." she embraced him as well before she pulled away and took the wrapped-up body of her father. She winced which caused kiba to take the corpse and lay it on Akamaru's back. "Thanks." kiba gave a quick smile and followed the team as they began the journey back home.

Sugimoto gave one last wave before following. "Im sorry I couldnt find sasuke's scent." kiba mumbled as she quirked a brow. "Why? We all knew there was a possibility that he wouldnt come back nor be found." kiba wasn't sure how to respond but he knew he simply wanted her to finally feel peace with sasuke back home.

She smiled. "How cute." was all she could say as kiba looked at her with a dusted blush. "Dont start with that. No man likes to be called cute." she held her arms up in feigned surrender. "So you say. But being cute doesnt make you any less of a man you know?" she asked before her eyes traveled to the body that rode on the ninja hound. Bile rose up her throat, the acid burning on the way up caused her eyes to water.

She coughed it away as kiba gave her his water to drink. She gulped down the still-cool refreshment and thanked him. She just couldn't learn, could she? She kills her father, couldn't find sasuke, and knows Ayumi is betraying her but still smiles and has the nerve to flirt in front of the deceased parent.