Issue #22: Ghost

The day after the exam, everyone was back in the classroom. Regular classes resumed again and the students were waiting to hear more information about the Training Camp that was coming up in a couple of weeks. Most were in high spirits after passing the practical exam. But then there were those that weren't in such high spirits.

"E-Everyone... I'm looking forward to hearing... All your stories... of how fun camp was..." Mina sobbed into Wade's chest as she hugged him tightly. Behind her were Kirishima, Kaminiari, and Sato. All of them looked rather miserable after failing to pass the practical exam. Now they were going to be left behind.

"Come on, don't cry," Wade said with a bright blush, rubbing her pink head. Trying to calm her down and cheer her up. "Maybe they'll end up letting you go! There might be a last-minute twist or something."

"Stop, Wade. By saying that out loud, you're just going to jinx them." Sero said, disheartened.

"If you have something better to say, then say it." Wade retorted while patting Mina's head and rubbing her back.

"They said whoever failed the exams would have to skip training camp and live in summer school hell. We didn't pass the practicals, so we're doomed." Kaminari said with his head, looking especially miserable. "Don't you get it, Wade?! Or did All Might knock all the brains outta you?!" He then turned around and pointed Wade in both of his eyes.

"OW! MY EYE!" Wade yelled in pain.

"Ease up, Kaminari." Sero said as Wade covered his eyes and withered in pain. "I'm not sure I'll be able to go, either. Our team only passed thanks to Mineta. I got knocked out, and since we don't know how they're scoring stuff, I might have flunked." Mineta was looking rather proud of himself behind Sero.

"At least bring us back lots of camp souvenirs, please!?" Kaminari yelled while crying.

Just then, the classroom door opened, revealing Mr. Aizawa. "Once the bell rings you should be in your seats." He said in an authoritative tone.

Immediately, everyone was in their seats with their mouths shut. With order restored, their teacher walked over to the podium.

"Morning. Unfortunately, there are a few of you who did not pass the final exams. So, when it comes to the training camp in the woods..."

He gave them all a creepy smile.

"Everyone is going!"

"IT'S THE LAST-MINUTE TWIST!" Yelled Kaminari, Mina, Sato, and Kirishima in relief and joy.

"Holy shit!" Wade exclaimed in shock.

"We really get to go to the camp?" Kirishima asked with a big grin.

"Seriously?" Mina asked with tears in her eyes.

"Yeah. The good news is that no one bombed the written exam. Five failed the practical badly." Aizawa informed the class, going back to his serious self. "Two teams, of course, and then Sero failed as well."

"Aw! Crap, I knew it!" Sero exclaimed in dismay. "Mineta made it to the gate, I didn't do near enough to pass."

"Allow me to explain," Aizawa said, raising his hand to silence the whole class. "For the practical battles, the teachers made sure to leave a way for the students to win. Otherwise, you never would have stood a chance. We were interested in observing how you each worked together and approached the task at hand."

"But didn't you promise that the teachers wouldn't be holding back?" Ojiro asked, confused.

"That was just to get you on edge," Aizawa said. "Besides, the training camp will focus on building your strength. Those who failed need those lessons the most. We were never going to separate you." He smiled that creepy smile again. "That was just a logical deception we used."