Issue #29: The Rescue Exam

AN: I'm cowboyalchemist on Discord. Come on over if you want to chat and talk about ideas. If you want an invite to join my discord server, you only have to ask me.

The moment he saw the buffet at the end of the anteroom, Wade grabbed a plate and loaded it with snacks. He then walked back to the others as they were talking. "So, you actually beat the girls from Seiai Academy," he asked with his mask halfway up until his mouth was exposed and he had a mouthful of crackers. "I heard they're an all-girls school. They must have been very tough to fight."

"Oh, like you wouldn't believe it," Jiro said, grinning at Wade. "You should have seen Yaomomo. She was amazing."

Momo took a bite of a cake pop and placed a hand on her cheek. "Oh, I don't know about amazing," she said humbly as she looked at the floor, feeling embarrassed.

"Not amazing? You completely turned a battle around when you guys were about to lose. That was really impressive," Wade said with a smile and food in his mouth. Hearing her boyfriend praise her made Momo smile and feel so happy.

"We were all amazing out there," Mina exclaimed as she and Ochaco jumped in from both sides and hugged Momo around her neck. "Our entire class passed the test!"

"I know! I'm so excited! Nothing could stop us!" Ochaco added with a big smile. The others with them cheered as Wade watched.

He would have joined in, but he was currently eating his snack. It was hard to believe, but he was so close to the end. He and his classmates made it through the first half of the exam. Whatever came next would be the final step in the Provisional Hero License exam, and they had to be ready for whatever they would throw at them.

However, as he swallowed the chips in his mouth, he noticed a familiar face on his way to the hero. "So, you made it, huh?" Bakugo said with an angry expression on his face. Though that wasn't anything new. Wade thought it was his permanent bitch-face. "How'd you manage that, bug?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah. Wasn't that hard, but they were pretty tough," Wade said, wiping his hands on his costume. He knew what was coming next. It's been a while since Bakugo took a jab at him or tried to act superior. Ever since Kamino, he hasn't been near as mean to Wade.

"Bet that second Quirk All Might gave you made it easier," Bakugo said, walking past his rival. Wade nearly jumped out of his suit in shock and fear. What did he just say? "I can see why All for One wants it."

Wade stared at the explorer in confusion and anxiety. How did he know? That's when Wade remembered how they rescued him and the story his friends told him about their plan. They were right there, right when he was talking to All for One when he talked about One for All. Meaning they heard their conversation. Did Bakugo piece together the whole story, or is he just going off of what he had heard from him and the ultimate villain? And if so, was that the reason he's been acting strangely lately?

The young Spider was pulled from his thoughts when he heard Mera speaking through the intercom once again. "Alright, for the 100 of you who passed the first test, please turn your attention to the screen," he said, referring to the big screen in the anteroom.

Wade turned towards it and saw it was displaying the battlefield he and the other 99 students fought on not even five minutes ago. "Why are they showing the test arena again," he asked.

"What's gonna happen next," asked Ochaco.

Their answer came when one of the buildings suddenly exploded on the middle floor, causing the top part of it to slide off and fall onto the ground. Then, another building was destroyed by multiple explosions from within and fell over. The oil refinery part of the arena had numerous explosions going off, as well as the mountain range. Everyone in Class 1-A and the other schools was utterly stunned and shocked as more and more explosions occurred in the arena, shaking the floor they were standing on. The only thing going through their heads was one thought: why?