16 - a steve

THE NEXT DAY AT SCHOOL WAS JUST AS LAME AS THE ONE BEFORE

THE NEXT DAY AT SCHOOL WAS JUST AS LAME AS THE ONE BEFORE. She did the assignments the teachers gave her and sat trying to learn lines for her audition for Mamma Mia.

When she got home from school, Natasha was running around the kitchen. "Anastasia, we have to go. Right now."

"Mom? What's going on?" She dropped the bag on the floor.

"No, I'll explain in the car. We need to go, now." She grabbed Anastasia's arm and they left the house. In the car, Natasha drove quickly while Anastasia continued asking. "Mom, please, tell me what's going on."

"Fury's not okay. He was shot by someone. We don't know who." She placed her hand on Anastasia's bouncing leg, causing it to stop.

When they got to the hospital, they found Steve watching the doctors operate on Fury. Anastasia hugged Steve as he hugged her back. He lingered for a little bit, not wanting to let go. "Is he gonna make it?" She said. Her question muffled, and her face was on his chest.

"I don't know." He replied softly.

"Tell me about the shooter." Natasha demanded.

"He's fast and strong. Had a metal arm." He described.

Just then, Maria joined the trio. "Ballistics?" Natasha asked.

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable." Maria said.

"Soviet-made." Natasha said to Anastasia so she would understand.

Maria nodded softly. She then joined in on the watching Fury's state deteriorate. He quickly started to flatline.

Anastasia didn't understand. It wasn't fair. Fury was unbeatable. He always came back. For so long, she knew him as some indestructible immortal man who saved people. Someone who was powerful without having any powers. Someone who knew his way out of a situation.

"Don't do this to me, Nick." She heard her mother say. "Don't do this to me, Nick. Don't do this to me." Her mother repeated. The four watched as the doctors continued to revive Fury, but it still showed him as flatlining.

Anastasia felt tears stream down her cheek. Steve grabbed her and buried her face into his jacket as he turned away from them.

"What's the time?"

"1:03, doctor."

The three moved to the room where Fury's dead body had been laid out. Anastasia was too scared to move, and Steve didn't force her too. Natasha was the only one actually moving around, examining as per usual. "I need to take him." Maria came in and said.

"No...." Anastasia said quietly. She wanted to fight. To say more. To tell Maria that Fury wasn't going anywhere. But she couldn't find herself able to say anything else.

"Annie..." Steve spoke. She didn't respond. Instead, she finally moved and touched Fury's head. She couldn't do it. She couldn't sit there and watch this anymore. She swiftly ran out with Natasha standing by Fury and Steve following her. "Annie!" He called out. "Anastasia!"

"How did he get shot? Who did this?" Anastasia yelled at him. "How did you know he was hurt? Did.." her voice cracked. "Did you do this?"

Steve was speechless. "How could you think I...? No, I didn't do this. He..he was in my apartment."

"Why? Why was he there?"

"I don't know." He whispered. It hurt more knowing that Steve was in just the same amount of pain as she was, except he wasn't going to show it. She knew he wouldn't. He was the type of person to help you through yours before dealing with his own.

Rumlow came over to join them. "Hey, red!" He ruffled her hair. "I'm sorry, truly." He then turned to Steve. "Cap, they want you back at SHIELD."

Steve looked at Anastasia, who looked the other way. "Yeah, give me a second."

"They want you now."

"Please, just one second."

"I'll wait outside." Rumlow said, bothered. He then walked off.

"Please don't go." Anastasia said quietly.

"Annie...I have to." He knelt to her level and placed his hands on her shoulders. "She's is here for you. She loves you. She's in just as much pain as you are."

"Yeah..I guess." But she's not you. That's what she wanted to say. What she was yearning to say. "You're a terrible liar, by the way." She brushed off. She pushed Steve off and went to join Maria and Natasha.

She didn't know why she cared so much about Steve being there. She didn't know him for that long, but she felt so much more connected to him then her own mother. She knew the reason for that, however. Her mother wasn't one to show emotion or vulnerability. Especially in front of Anastasia. Meanwhile, Steve didn't show his true self unless it was people he knew, or cared out.

Anastasia didn't want a father, because she knew she had a Steve. And that was good enough for her.

(6.16.23)

So sad.

Listening to Speak Now, Getaway Car, and Should've said no by Taylor while writing this was the funniest thing I have ever done in my life 😭

Also sorry for this being a short chapter. I was talking to Madzobsessions  and @-sunsetbay and they both agreed I should have a chapter just for Fury's death. But I put a little spin on it.

[872 words]