19 - out of time

THE DRIVE WAS QUIET AND AWKWARD

THE DRIVE WAS QUIET AND AWKWARD. Anastasia sat up front, watching as the trees flew by. She sat wishing she had something to fill her boredom. Whether it be music or a book she needed something than just sitting. She started to drift off into thought. Thinking about what Tony or Ingrad would be up to at the moment. Thinking about what the Winter Soldier was thinking.

"Where did captain America learn to steal a car?" Natasha eventually spoke.

"Nazi, Germany." Definitely not the answer Anastasia was expecting.

"They had cars back then?" Anastasia asked.

"Yes! I'm not that old!" Steve defended himself. "How old do you think I am?"

Natasha giggled. "Sometimes I forget that you're just a kid."

That stung Anastasia right in the gut. Anastasia honestly forgot from time to time that she was just a teenager. She was a junior in high school, where they were gonna be performing Mamma Mia (which probably went out the window for Anastasia). Most sixteen year olds at the moments were partying or going to the movies with boys. Something normal.

Normalcy was something Anastasia had always longed for. Growing up as the only kid at SHIELD was a horrible experience. All of her friends were adults and she was never allowed to go out without one of them, specifically Grant Ward. So when she started high school, it was even more of a nightmare. Everyone knew each other and everyone all had a normal experience growing up.

Sure, how many kids could say they knew Captain America or Tony Stark. But it wasn't the same as gossiping with other girls about a girl you had a problem with, or figuring out ways to get a boy to be obsessed with you with your friends.

The worst part was instead of going out or doing anything normal, she trained. She trained and trained and became something unknown to herself. She knew her mother had it worse than Anastasia did. But, it wasn't fair no matter the situation. Anastasia couldn't seem to figure what bothered her more, the fact that her mother joked about it or the fact that Anastasia laughed at it.

Anastasia was about to add to the joke when her mother added something else. "Alright, I have a question for you, oh, which you do not have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer it though, you're kind of answering it, you know? Was that your first kiss since 1945?" That was something Anastasia did not want to hear being discussed.

"Wishing I had earbuds right now..." Anastasia muttered loud enough for the two to hear.

Natasha slapped Anastasia's knee playfully. "Don't be dramatic."

Steve pulled up to the outside of an abandoned military base. "This is it."

"The file came from these coordinates." Natasha pointed out.

"So did I." Steve spoke quietly. "This camp is where I was trained."

"This is a dead end. Zero heat signature, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off."