19

❝𝑫𝒐 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒑𝒆, 𝒏𝒐𝒓 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒅.❞

(Surah Ali 'Imran:139)

Asfandyar looked down from the glass window of his office

Asfandyar looked down from the glass window of his office. Lights from the buildings were shimmering through the dark embrace of night. How lucky nights are! It can find lights in the very hostile arms of darkness unlike him. He doesn't have a shoulder to lay his head and cry his eyes out. None likes when men cry because they are supposed be strong. They say men are built strong but what about the fragile heart residing in their chest. A small scratch on it gives you restless night and he! Oh, he doesn't have scratch, he has wounds on his heart which refused to heal with time. They say time is the best medicine, then why has it not healed him yet? Why is the pain getting excruciating only?

He was trying to move on, he really did but the person he expected to be the light in his endless gloom turned out to be the evil hiding behind the darkness to arrow his heart. Ah, his poor heart! How much more it can endure? He rarely got betrayal for he barely trusted anyone but he started to trust her. And now, he is suffering! He hates it when people betray him, he doesn't go easy on traitors and his own wife chose to test him. Wasn't he enough for her? He gave her everything, from money to - um, not much maybe, but still he gave her his money. He won't say he felt nothing for her. Her presence did something to his heart and so did her absence. Maybe, he got used to having her around the room though she was in her own cocoon.

He never tried to express himself to her for he thought she won't be able stay by his side if he starts to. He had seen his family in pain when he was expressing his agony to them. He may act like he doesn't remember those nights where his family slept on his door, ready to jump in when another nightmare of him kicks in. Seeing their state, he realized it was not only him who was suffering. Yes, he did lost his fiancé and best friend but his family was at the verge of losing their son. He doesn't know how, he managed to cover his emotions and feelings within his cold stare. He was named cold, heartless, arrogant and what not but he didn't care as long as the names don't come from his family.

Everything would have been different if she was alive, her smile could heal the betrayal his heart was enduring. Damn! Her face itself is a medicine to his all problems. Alas, she is not here, won't be either for she left him forever to suffer in this world alone. Thinking about her, he couldn't help the tear that formed in his eyes neither could he stop his lips from uttering her name, "Maryem . . ." He ran his hand through his face, tiredly, "I miss you!" He bit on his lower lip not wanting to cry, "I wish I could come to you and hold you in my arms forever. You are my peace, my sanity and everything. Without you, I'm lost! Come back . . ."

Before he could break into tears, he listened to a voice he was least expecting at late night in his office.

"Why did you not go with her then?"