23

❝𝑰𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒆𝒅, 𝑨𝒍𝒍𝒂𝒉 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒐𝒇 𝒂 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒎𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒗𝒆𝒔.❞

(Surah Ar-Ra'd:11)

"You're keeping my daughter happy, right?" The old man looked into Shyan's eyes who started to get nervous under his intimidating gaze

"You're keeping my daughter happy, right?" The old man looked into Shyan's eyes who started to get nervous under his intimidating gaze. "I hate it when people lower their eyes from me!" He added when the latter continued to admire the ground beneath him.

Shyan clenched his jaws, raising his eyes to meet his father-in-law's, "Yes!" No matter how mighty others think of him, he will start feeling like a nobody in front of Abdu-Rehman once he look at him with his hooded brown orbs which promise hell. And when the matter is about his daughter, he could put you into a place which is more dreadful than Hell.

"Good!" The old man thrust out his chin. Looking at the busy city under them, he swallowed, "I don't have much days left."

Wrinkles formed in between Shyan's brows , listening to the dejection in the man's voice, "Why? Aren't you taking medicines properly?"

"There is something called will, young man!" Pointing to the sky Abdu-Rehman smiled, "And when he wills, everyone goes powerless!"

Shyan gulped, listening to his words. Trying his best to not sound like a disbeliever, he asked, "Why does he hurt his people if he know pretty well that they are in pain?" He bit his tongue, wondering whether he sounded like a disbeliever or not. To sound like a believer, he added, "Doesn't he love us?"

"Who told you he doesn't love us? If I'm standing in front of you with pride, it is because of his love. Else, I'd have been drowning in my endless miseries and regrets!" A small smile broke on Abdu-Rehman's lips as he took a quick journey back to his past. The smile got disturbed from his Son-in-law's murmur.

"As if he got his life extended!"

"What's the use of extending it" He asked, making the latter's eyes widen in shock at the realization that the old man heard him. Watching how Shyan struggle under his intimidating gaze, he added, "Death is definite for everyone. There is no discrimination in that. One can stretch it but not escape!"

"Don't you wish to live more?"

"Oh, that I do. I cannot get enough of my family no matter how much I spend with them but he," The old man pointed to the sky, "loves me more than any being in this earth could - More than my wife, daughter and son."

Shyan had always wondered about Abdu-Rehman's family. He didn'tsrr anyone from his side during their wedding. The majority of the guests were from Laila's side and even now, when the man was talking of his family didn't mention his parents unlike anyone else would. Before the former could tame his thoughts, the words slipped from his tongue, "What about your mother? Don't you think she loves you?"