21

❝𝑮𝒐𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒄𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒆 𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒅𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒑.❞

(Surah At-Talaq:07)

Asfandyar leant against the wall, closing his eyes

Asfandyar leant against the wall, closing his eyes. The withered eyes of his wife flashed in in his mind, she didn’t cry a drop at the sight of her lifeless mother. She kept laying her head on his sister’s shoulder with her eyes locked on her mother’s cold body. She looked so lost as if she was trying to communicate with her dead mother and then, she looked up at him. It was so sudden he didn’t get the time to avert his gaze. Once she locked her eyes with his, it felt impossible to look away even after knowing the fact she was a beguiler. No emotion was there in her dull eyes but she didn’t break the eye contact until he dared. The woman was always silent as a dark night but on some rare occasions, he felt her silence like a thunder- loud and dreadful. The silent stare she gave him was such and it continued to make him restless even after days from the incident.

“You should not have came here, leaving her all alone. She needs you!” His father broke his thoughts.

“I hate being around such gloomy atmosphere. I thought you’d know that by now.” He didn’t attempt to look at his father.

“It doesn’t matter as long as you are in Nikkah with her.” Making sure his son was not looking, Abdul-Rehman slid the small packet in his hand to his pocket. Patting on his son’s shoulder, he added, “Nikkah is not about repeating Qubool hai but it’s about fulfilling the unsaid duties and responsibilities you’ve towards your wife. Your efforts make your marriage successful not some unsaid words buried inside your heart.”

Asfandyar opened his eyes, staring at the man in disbelief. He is the same man who pushed his mother away when someone talked ill about her and then one day, he came to them asking for a second chance. Yes, the man righted his wrong but the days a child spent being called fatherless was not something forgettable. He had an urge to counter his father’s words with his very own deeds but couldn’t bring himself to do so for the man had made up for his mistakes long ago. Maybe, he is talking from his own experience for no father would wish for their child to repeat their mistakes!

Taking in his father’s appearance, he queried, “Where are you going?”

“Where my son should be,” Abdul-Rehman walked past him but stopped on his tracks listening to his son.

“Smoking is not good for your health, Dad!”

“Says the priest!”

Asfandyar sighed, watching his Dad leave to his wife’s home.

゚☆゚.*・◕.♡。゚✿ °

“I couldn’t save her, Zoe!” Abdul-Rehman muttered, looking down.

Zoya placed her index finger under his chin and raised it up, “It is not your fault, Dad. You know, no one can deny when Allah calls.”

“I know but it is not helping me! The dejected eyes of Aiman make me feel horrible as a doctor!”