|chapter twenty-one: witness|

For the following two weeks I kept on getting messages from Shawn, all the same (well, not formed the same way, but with the same vibe)

For the following two weeks I kept on getting messages from Shawn, all the same (well, not formed the same way, but with the same vibe). Matt and Dylan got disgustingly sweet with each other, acting all couple-ish; kissing, hugging all. the. time., walking hand in hand (which I do with Piper and one of my roommates too, platonically of course, so I didn't mind this), and most of all, they can't get their hands off of each other, it's gross. Piper finds it cute, she still thinks me and Matt need to talk things out, but she supports the two gays- I mean guys, anyway. I'm not really bothered with the messages threatening Piper, she's not one to get her heart broken easily, if ever, so she'll be fine on her own (without my help, I mean). Mostly things were going great, until my birthday.

I spent my birthday in a camp in the middle of the woods, for a school trip that took somewhat around a week, we arrived on sunday and tuesday was the (un)fortunate day. I shared my tent with Piper and Evelyn while Matt shared with Tyler on one side of us, and Dylan with a random guy whose name I still don't remember on the other side of us, next to them the excuse of a kitchen. In the morning, Evelyn was first to wish me a happy birthday, followed by Piper, Tyler joined them at breakfast, Matt was sitting next to him, but said nothing. During the day, Zoe, Nathalie and Dylan (whom I haven't told about my birthday) joined in on the wishes, Matt also standing next to them, but not joining the wishes. For the whole day as the news were going around, I got a text from one of my roommates to wish me a happy birthday too, I was kind of anxious that I'll get thrown a surprise party, but luckily that never happened and I survived the day peacefully, most of the time. Matt never wished me a happy birthday, my self-called best friend, everyone.

When I confronted him about it the next day, he just said that 'bitrhdays don't mean anything to him, so he didn't find it important enough', which is like.. okay, fair but maybe it does mean something to me, maybe it does mean a lot to me now that I have friends to 'cellebrate' with. Just a simple "Happy B-day," would be enough, maybe I'd still be mad if he said it like he doesn't care, but it would at least be something. I also didn't believe his reasoning behind it, so now I'm mad at him for that.

We were supposed to be comming back thursday, so wednesday evening was a campfire night. At one point Dylan and some others decided to go in the lake nearby for a swim, amongst being slightly more drunk Evelyn, pretty much wasted Dylan, a little tipsy Matt and a few others whom I didn't know how drunk they were, but defo not sober. To be honest, I feel like I was the only sober one at this point, that would be because I had just turned seventeen like a day ago. Tyler, Zoe and I went with them, but just watched from the safe space on the shore, Zoe because of some 'ladies issues', Tyler because .. well, he's Tyler and me, because I was cold (to the point I had to steal Tyler's hoodie to keep warm, but that's unimportant). Eventually the patch of dark silhouettes emerged from the darkness of the night lake to get their towels, Dylan unable to find us until I lit up a flaslight I brought for exactly moments like this. Everyone who went in the water disappeared to the showers and change back to warm clothes, eventually coming back, except Matt and Dylan, but no one seemed to notice. Piper stayed at the fire singing along to Nathalie's guitar playing, amongts others there, I sat on one side of Tyler and Evelyn on the other, handing the swimmers their orders we bought while they went to change, with their money of course, or Tyler's.. I'm not really sure if he payed for it or if he recieved the money before. Eventually I got too cold too, but decided to stay at least until Dylan and Matt come back, so I could tell them all good nights. The teachers brought sousages at one point, I didn't want one because I don't really like them, I barely eat any meat (except for chicken, sometimes beef).

"Where are Dylan and Matthew? Wouldn't they want one too?" Tyler asked, turning to me, I shrugged in response, looking around.

"I'll go look for them since I have nothing better to do anyway," I suggested when unable to find them in the crowd, I just got a nod in response and left.

First I went to check Dylan's hut, no one there, though in Matt and Tyler's hut could be heard sounds and the light was shining from under the door. So obviously, without thinking I opened the door to be met with a flying pillow straight into my face, when the pillow fell down I could see the two boys' heads from under a blanket, of course it didn't strike me what they were doing before I walked in just like that.

"Hey, they're giving out sousages, so I went to ask if you guys want some?" I said casually, they both were face red, eyes wide staring at me.

"Uhhhh..." was Matt's response.

"Do you know how to knock?" was Dylan's response, I looked between them puzzled.

"I was just asking if you want some sousages," I repeated as if they were the ones not understanding something.

"Well, we're in the middle of something, so if you could.." Dylan explained, gesturing for me to leave.

"In the middle of what? Everyone else is by the campfire," I said confusedly, sometimes I feel like I should learn social cues.

"Well, we're in the middle of something you're not a fan of," Dylan continued, his voice hinting that he's slowly losing patience with my obliviousness.

"Yes, I know you're in the middle of a relationship, rather the beggining, but- oh!" I finally realized what had I walked into. "I'm sorry, but do you want the sousages?"

"No, and go away," Dylan let out a sigh.

"Okay, and lock the door next time if you're doing smutty things, geez," I rolled my eyes and walked out, closing the door behind myself.

"What the heck was that?" I heard Dylan's muffled voice before I started walking back to the campfire.

But I never got there as something, or rather someone stood in my way with crossed arms...

~hi, author here, i just wanted to say a few things; one: sorry for the lack of posts, two: i made a spotify playlist for this book (https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5pDih8ACQ1W3kczfwoHdXJ?si=068c48f71a7a4590), three: i will probably be ending this book soon because all my motivation for it went <poof> (but its still a long way if i want to fit in all i had planned, which i do, but im not about to keep making things up to fill the gaps i still have, so it might get chaotic eventually), four: i wont prolly post for the next few weeks because of finals, so this is kinda the last chappy you get in a while, sorry about that my my school sucks. with that, goodbye for now, also viva la pridemonth<333

-Sanny<3