Immortality sucks

Kara Millers had watched The Vampire Diaries many times. Each and every time she understood that Vampires got hungry and that was dangerous. But there was no amount of theoretical understanding that prepared her for the all-consuming ravenous hell that came with the thirst for blood. 

No matter how much you think you understand hunger, you do not even begin to comprehend how mind-bogglingly horrible the transition actually is. 

The phantom pain filled Kara Mikaelson's already healed chest. She sat up eyes blurring at the dim light from the fireplace. A searing agony shot through her gums, a groan of pain involuntarily erupting from her throat as she stumbled to her feet. And then she felt the weight of the emptiness. She couldn't feel the nature around them. She couldn't feel the magic flowing through her veins. She couldn't feel anything at all but the cold stillness of death. Her magic was gone and after seventeen years of habituating to it, she could physically feel the void it left. Tears flowed down her face as she mourned the loss of that part of herself. Kara was dead, and she would remain dead for the rest of eternity.

Mikael stumbled in, dragging behind him a girl from the village. He took the knife from the table and cut her arm, dragging her towards Kara. The smell of the blood hit her and a powerful desire burned within her. A desire for blood. 

"Drink, my Valkyrie, you must drink," Mikael whispered, softly stroking Kara's hair as he guided her toward the blood. 

No matter how much she fought the monster within, she couldn't resist. As her teeth sunk into the gushing wound an indescribable ecstasy flowed through her veins. 

She felt stronger, hungrier. Kara felt like she was reborn. 

One by one her siblings awoke from their slumber, all succumbing to the hunger and drinking off the poor girl. Kol sped to Kara's side, pulling her into his embrace. 

"I-I couldn't... I felt you... You died, Kara... I watched you die, I felt you die!" Kol cried as Kara hugged him back, quietly assuring him that she was alright. Kol pulled back and Kara recognized the exact moment he too felt the void, "I can't feel anything... Kara my magic-!"

"I know... I know brother, I feel its loss as well..." Tears dripped down Kara's face as Kol came to the horrific realization that the magic within them had been stolen. Nature was punishing them for the abomination they were, abandoning them. As the rest of their siblings tried to figure out what was happening, the twins stood to the side, mourning the loss of part of themselves. 

The following days were filled with the discovery of their new powers. They were unnaturally fast and strong. They healed remarkably fast and found themselves invulnerable to many pains. The sun that granted them immortality also burned them to the touch. It didn't take long for Esther to rectify this, creating daylight rings to protect the children from the sun's harsh sting. 

Rebekah learned the hard way that the flowers that grew at the bottom of the great white oak also burned to the touch. For fear of death by the one thing that could kill the, the siblings set fire to the great white oak and its flowers. 

They could not enter homes, they were not invited into. But the most challenging part of the newly created vampirism was the insatiable hunger. Kara had not yet killed anyone, but her self-control was waning with each passing day. 

They were immortal, untouched by age or illness. After all, they were already dead. 

Kol had been struggling the most with his hunger. The void left by his lost magic seemingly was filled by hunger. That missing part of himself was causing major problems in his self-control. He confided in  Kara that he felt like he was losing himself to the monster, just like he had lost his magic. 

The twin's bond somehow grew even stronger through death. 

Kara always knew exactly where Kol was. She didn't know how, after all their bond was brought on by their shared magic. She wondered if vampire twins had a supernatural connection like witch twins. They must have because Kara could feel in her bones when Kol was drowning in the void. He could feel her guilt every time she drank someone's blood. Kol could feel her sadness when she was denied entrance to one of her friend's homes. 

Kara often talked to Finn about her guilt and concerns. Finn always listened, sharing his feelings with her. 

There was a growing divide between the six remaining Mikaelson children. It felt like Nik, Elijah, and Rebekah were on one side and Kara, Kol, and Finn remained on the other. 

Mikael and Esther tried to bridge the gap, but the unspoken distance was there. 

One night as they were hunting, Niklaus lunged at his prey, making his first kill. The bones in his body began to snap as he shouted in agony. Kara lunged to comfort Nik only to be held back by Finn. Mikael watched in horror as he was smacked in the face with the reality that Niklaus was not his son. 

He went on a rampage, killing the werewolves including Nik's true father Ansel. He then demanded that as penance Esther should find a way to undo her sin by blocking off Nik's wolf side. 

Esther's eyes shined with tears as she held the moonstone in her hand. Elijah and Mikael held Niklaus down as he fought to keep half of himself. He pleaded with his mother not to curse him, begged her to leave him alone. 

Just as she was about to begin, Kara sped in and knocked Elijah off Niklaus and into their father. Both were thrown to the ground as Kara pulled Nik up, pushing him behind her much smaller form. "No! I will not allow such an atrocity. Your actions have already ripped the magic from Kol and me, now your selfishness will kill half of Niklaus as well? Do you understand the selfish horrors you commit Esther? I see no mother here, only a power-crazed bitch!" 

Nik shook as he stared at the only member of his family that defended him. She stood before him, snarling like a beast, protecting him from the rest of their family. 

"Finn," Esther ordered and Finn tackled Kara out of the way, holding her to the ground with all his weight as he whispered apologies into her ears. Once more, Elijah and Mikael grabbed him. 

"NO! NIK!" Kara cried out, fighting to knock Finn off of her. 

But it was no use. The fates had charted this course long ago and no reborn vampire would stop it. Nik's eyes met hers, begging her to do something, but no matter how hard she fought, she couldn't save him. 

 But Niklaus would remember. 

He would remember the one sibling who tried. 

The one sibling who stood between him and his eternal torment. 

For millennia to come Klaus Mikaelson would remember which of his siblings never once disappointed him.