To say goodbye to a son

"He'll be fine Nik," Kara whispered comfortingly as she held her elder brother's hand. 

The ship that held Marcellus grew smaller in the distance, bound for the South of France. It had been a few months since Mars was turned into a vampire. Niklaus had been the one to turn him, as Kara was too terrified to create another sire bond after what happened with Louis. Once he got control of the thirst he was off to his year-long excursion through Europe escorted by a few of the Mikaelson's servants. 

"Relax brother!" Kol smiled throwing his arms around his twin and Nik, "He'll feed and fuck his way through Europe and then be back under your oppressive rule before you know it!" 

"Why must we send him away?" Nik asked, turning his attention towards Kara.

"Because we will be leaving soon," Kara answered watching the ship fade over the horizon. 

The other Mikaelsons grew eerily quiet as they turned to look at Kara. Even Rebekah caught her eye for the first time in days. Her little sister had been giving her the cold shoulder for days as part of her tantrum for sending Marcellus away. 

"Our father approaches. It is time for us to move on." Kara spoke into the wind as they all fixed their attention on her words. 

"You sent him away to protect him?" Elijah asked, always surprised by his sister's abilities. 

"There is someone I must retrieve... The time is now right. You all must move on without me. I must remain." Kara's voice held a tinge of excitement. 

She felt a hand wrap around her wrist harshly, turning to see the sneering face of Kol, "Like hell. We don't leave anyone behind. Until forever ends, remember?!"

"This is most important... I will join you soon but... I must speak to Father." Kara smiled, that sad smile that most of the world melted for. But not Kol, not when it meant she was leaving him behind again. 

"What could you possibly have to discuss with that man?" Nik spat. 

"...It's about Freya," Kara whispered watching Finn's face melt into confusion and pain. Sage too looked confused, obviously having heard about it from Finn.

"What does our long-dead sister have to do with anything?" Finn asked. 

"Sleeping. Not dead. She will wake soon. It is time to reunite the family. She is... not gone. Father will help me get her back... A month... Just give me a month, Kol, and I swear to you I will return." Her focus turned solely on her other half, begging him to let her follow the path laid before her. 

"The Others may go... But not I. I will not live incomplete again. We shall stay together until forever ends, Kara." Kol responded in absolute certainty. 

There was a moment of tense silence, "Very well... Kol and I shall retrieve our sister. The rest of you shall run once more. Try Charleston, I hear it's lovely." 

A few days after the rest of the siblings left. Kara and Kol sat bored in the balcony of the opera. Well, Kol was bored, Kara was transfixed by the powerful voices that filled the beautiful theater. She was pulled from her focus when someone sat down beside her. 

Her head snapped to the side, meeting the cold grey gaze of her father. 

"Hello, my Valkyrie," Mikael spoke in the familiar old Norse, she had nearly forgotten. Her native tongue sounded so foreign to her after so long. 

"Hello, Father. I have been waiting for you." Kara answered feeling Kol take her hand in his own, ready to pull her back at the first sign of danger.

"Yes... Your gift has been very troublesome for me. I assume there is a reason that you remain while your siblings flee," His tone wasn't necessarily hostile, but it wasn't the same adoration he held for her when she was a young girl. She missed the love of a father.

"Freya is alive... It is time to get my sister back." She could actually see the moment, Mikael's world shattered around him. 

"Freya died of Plague before you were even born." Mikael spat with the ferocity of the Viking he was.

And so she told him. She told him about Esther's deal to become fertile, about how she gave Freya away to Dahlia, about what Freya had endured. She could see Mikael was furious. 

"Why now? After all these centuries? WHY NOW?" Mikael roared causing most of the crowd to look at them in annoyance. 

"Because the author of our story has given me the freedom to speak of it only now. Just as I couldn't stop Henrik's death, just as I couldn't stop our transition to vampires. There is a higher power that limits the changes I can make. Our story is already written, I am cursed with knowing the plot but having no power to interfere until I am permitted it. I can not change what the author decides..." Kara's eyes grew distant. 

The Vampire Diaries.

The Originals. 

Even her own story. 

Kara was a simple conduit for minor changes. No matter how much of the plot she remembered from her first life. No matter how much had changed. Her control was limited. For whoever put her in this world, held the strings. She got her wish, she got to live and to love. But the price was to be a character in a story someone else wrote. 

She had wanted to save Freya long ago. She knew what it was like to exist without truly living and she didn't wish that fate on anyone. But she had felt those invisible chains tightening.

"How do we save her?" Mikael asked, trying to pull her haunted eyes back into the present. 

"We call on the Spellman witches. Find her Coffin. Then Kill my aunt." 

The chains loosened slightly, as she readied to reunite her family once more.