A Lady So Fair

Prince Louis had spent his life being doted on by noble women. He was handsome, wealthy, and titled. He had ladies of all sorts. He had met servants and nobles, the dull and the enlightened, the stiff and the fun, the ugly and the beautiful... But never had the prince of France seen a Lady so fair as his. 

From a young age, he had been trained to be the perfect prince. He was the youngest of four sons so it was unlikely for him to ever inherit the throne. He was supposed to find a pretty, wealthy, and well-bred noblewoman to marry and have children enough to continue the royal bloodline. He was meant to be a businessman or a Lord of the land. 

Louis's path was charted for him, just like all of his siblings. Even his trip here was scripted by his father and the queen. 

Louis had been sent by his father, the king, to see if a marriage might be formed with the Cout de Martell's daughter Aurora. They had been trying to marry him off for years. He had been to dozens of Lord's homes and yet found nothing worth staying for. He had met the girl Aurora de Martell and she was pretty and sweet but seemed plain in spirit. She was just like every other lady he had ever met. 

There was something in his blood that always sang to him to wait. It told him that Aurora de Martell was not his wife, the same as it did for all the others. There was nothing inherently wrong with the girls but something within him stayed his hand and stopped any thoughts of marriage. 

He never felt anything for any of them, that was until he saw her. 

It was an immediate earth-shattering allure that blazed through his veins like a mighty strike of lightning. Her hair hung in ringlets, brown as the thorns on a rose. Her skin was a pale golden, kissed by the midday sun. But her eyes are what truly insnared him. 

The common brown of her eyes did not take away from their foreign feeling. Her eyes held secrets and pain but there was a dangerous kindness in her gaze that drew him to her. She was the pinnacle of loveliness. 

He felt his heart restart in his chest as he attempted to maintain some semblance of priority rather than gawk at his fair lady. 

"Ah! May I present, Prince Louis of France." The old man introduced him and he smiled back charitably. 

The entire family was very attractive he noticed. Her sister was also gorgeous but not as fair as the mystery lady in his eyes. He felt the harsh glares of her brothers as the prince approached. 

"Your grace, may I present the children of Count se Guisse. The Lords Finn, Niklaus, Elijah, and Kol. And these are their sisters, Lady Kara and Lady Rebekah." The Count de Martell announced and his heart skipped as he learned her name.

Kara...

The lovely lady Kara.

That singing feeling in his blood hummed to life. She was it. She was his. He found the one that would hold his heart until death do they part. 

He took her hand in his, ignoring her siblings completely before placing a delicate kiss on her knuckles. "A pleasure I assure you, to be acquainted with ladies so fair." The prince gave a charming smile but it didn't seem to sway her as she looked uninterested in his flirtations. 

"Charmed. Tell me does the prince's acquaintances receive such a royal greeting?" There was a teasing twinkle in her eye that made it impossible not to smile. Oh, what he would give to hear her sweet voice for the rest of his life.

"Only the pretty ones."

"How tiresome it must be then-"

Before she could continue teasing him, a large hand gripped his wrist forcing him to release his hold on Lady Kara. Louis turned to see the harsh gritted grin of Kol Mikaelson who looked like he was ready to orchestrate a masquer. 

"Ah yes, what an honor to meet the prince." Though the words were not cutting, there was a sharp edge to his tone that disturbed the prince. Every bone in his body screamed danger when he looked into the eyes of Lord Kol. They were identical to Kara's in color and shape, but to Louis, they could not be more different. His were harsh, cold, and devoid of kindness and mercy. Kol had the eyes of a devil. 

"Kol." The quiet coo of Kara's angelic voice cut through the tension, drawing the devil's attention onto herself. 

Louis noticed how similar the two looked compared to their other siblings. They looked identical, one with the continence of an angel and the other that of a devil. Even he as a stranger could identify how the twins balanced each other. 

"I grow weary from our travels, perhaps we could retire for the evening. Thank you to our honorable host, we feel most welcomed." Elijah cut in before Kol killed the prince. 

Lucien quickly led them away, Prince Louis's eyes trailed after Kara until he could no longer see her.

"It seems you've caught the eye of a prince, sister." Bekah giggled, taking her sister's hand. 

"It's like you want Kol to lose it." Kara whispered back, using her free hand to place a comforting hand on Kol's tense back.

"He needs to die."

"No killing the prince, Kol."

"That old cunt as well for looking down your dress."

"No killing the count, Kol"

"I wonder if blue blood tastes any sweeter."

"Just let it go, Kol"

The twins bickered all the way back to their quarters. But secretly in the back of her mind, Kara wouldn't mind seeing the prince again.