A True Prince Charming

Prince Louis of France was born in the winter of 1012 AD in Orleans, France. He was brought up to be charming and kind by his mother. He was taught to be pious and righteous by his father. He was taught to enjoy life and love by his siblings, and how to braid hair by... someone. 

He knew that at some point he had become a demon of the night. He knew that he craved blood but never actually felt the need to kill. He knew somehow that the ring on his finger protected him from sunlight. 

He knew that he was turned into this creature by an Original named Kara Mikaelson, though he couldn't remember meeting her or even her face. 

At age 65, he met Monique. A french woman that he truly did love, though there always felt like something was missing in their relationship. After years of being together, Monique began to age while he remained. He offered her immortality, he offered an eternity of love, but she denied him saying she had no desire for an immortal life. 

He stayed with her for two more years before they broke off their relationship. 

He spent the next few centuries traveling the world, he took a lover or two every few years. All seemed to have the same features. Golden-toned skin, dark brown hair, light brown, almost golden eyes that shined with kindness. He seemed to have a type but he couldn't pinpoint the reasoning, for he knew in his soul there was a reason. 

At some point during his journeys, he met the most peculiar woman. She was cunning and sharp, she had a mischievous twinkle in her brown eyes that drew Louis closer. 

She had dark brown hair and golden skin. 

She was a vampire. 

They had met at a ball shockingly enough. He rarely attended such events, as it reminded him of his childhood. But he was bored and the host was a friend named Claire, he couldn't recall how he met her but he knew they were close. 

He met the strange beauty and danced with her once. 

"Katherine Pierce." She said her name was. 

They tried to be lovers, but neither really felt the soul connection they were looking for, so they traveled as best friends instead. 

They often introduced themselves as siblings, Louis adopting the last name Peirce as his own sometime in the 1600s. 

They spent centuries at each other's sides running from the vicious monster that stalked Katherine's nightmares. 

Klaus Mikaelson. 

He never understood the rolling nerve of anxiety that flushed through him whenever that vile name was uttered. He had told Kat once, he told her of the fear he felt towards that name. 

"You said Kara turned you right?" Kat asked. 

"Kara Mikaelson, yes. Though I don't actually remember the event." Louis responded honestly. 

"She's the best of them. She's an original seer, but she's kind. Most likely Klaus wanted your head so she compelled you for your safety. It wouldn't surprise me if Saint Kara pulled something like that." Katherine said absent-mindedly, thinking back on her own interactions with the Original Seer. 

Centuries passed and Louis found himself in Virginia of all places. The American Civil War was in full swing and Katherine had insisted on going to a small town called Mystic Falls. He had no idea what Kat's intention was for coming here, though he rarely knew her schemes before they came to full fruition. 

The carriage pulled up to the lovely plantation-style home Louis was the first to emerge, offering his hand to his 'sister' as she exited the carriage. He smirked slyly as he saw the two boys gawking wide-eyed at Katherine. 

"Mr. and Miss. Peirce! A pleasure to welcome you into our home." Mr Salvatore smiled, shaking his hand and kissing Kat's. "My sons, Damon and Stefan Salvatore." He introduced leading them onto the porch. 

Katherine stayed back to speak with the boys as Mr. Salvatore pulled Louis aside to speak, "I hope you will feel welcome. I know it is a difficult time for our country." 

Louis nodded sagely responding with his perfectly practiced American accent, "My sister is my priority, getting her somewhere safe shall always be my concern. I see your sons may have taken a liking to her." He smiled friendly continuing the mindless pleasantries with the liquor-scented man. 

They stayed in town longer than usual, Katherine was infatuated with both the Salvatore brothers causing a strain in their relationship. 

Louis rarely interfered with Katherine's love life, but something about the way she treated the Salvatore brothers left an ill feeling in his stomach. They argued nearly daily about her treatment of her lovers, especially the compelling. 

Weeks turned to months and the Founders Ball was approaching. 

The brothers fought over which would escort the lovely Miss Katherine and all Louis could do was grimace at their crumbling relationship. 

Louis went alone to the Lockwood mansion seeing his sister dance with Stefan. 

His eyes scanned the crowd sipping mindlessly at his champagne. But then his eyes met hers and the world stopped spinning. 

Prince Louis had spent his life being doted on by noble women but never had the prince of France seen a Lady so fair as her.

It was an immediate earth-shattering allure that blazed through his veins like a mighty strike of lightning. Her dark hair was in a classy updo, brown as the thorns on a rose. Her skin was a pale golden, kissed by the midday sun. But her eyes are what truly insnared him.

The common brown of her eyes did not take away from their foreign feeling. Her eyes held secrets and pain but there was a dangerous kindness in her gaze that drew him to her. She was the pinnacle of loveliness.

He felt his heart restart in his chest as he attempted to maintain some semblance of priority rather than gawk at his fair lady.

He felt some force outside of himself move him. He made his way across the hall standing before her and all else faded around them. 

"Hello, my lady. I can't say I've had the pleasure of your acquaintance, I am Louis Peirce." He smiled, charming as ever. 

He saw a change in her eyes, a sadness as her gaze flickered to her escort whose jaw clenched. They looked very similar, like the male and female counterparts of the same being.

"We are just passing through on an errand I'm afraid. I am Kara and this is my brother Kol. The pleasure is mine, Mr. Peirce." Her voice was quiet, as if in mourning even at such a lively event.

Kara...

The lovely lady Kara.

That singing feeling in his blood hummed to life. She was it. She was his. He found the one that would hold his heart until death do they part.

He took her hand in his, ignoring her brother completely before placing a delicate kiss on her knuckles. "A pleasure I assure you, to be acquainted with ladies so fair." There it was again, that sadness flashing in her pretty, angel eyes as if she recognized the words.

"Charmed. Tell me do all of your acquaintances receive such a royal greeting?" There was a teasing twinkle in her saddened eyes that made it impossible not to smile. Oh, what he would give to hear her sweet voice for the rest of his life.

"Only the pretty ones."

Her eyes grew watery for a reason unknown as she gazed at him with a longing so intense it nearly knocked the air from his lungs. He saw her grip her brother's hand and he wondered for a moment if he had made the fair maid uncomfortable. 

"It was lovely to meet you... Mr. Peirce."

"Louis! Call me Louis, please." He felt foolish for acting like such a green boy but he couldn't help it. She was oh so lovely. 

"It was lovely to meet you... Louis." The way she spoke the French pronunciation of his name gave him a sense of Deja vu. There was an itch in his brain, something in his soul screaming to remember, but he couldn't. 

"I look forward to knowing you, Miss Kara."