Werewolves, Vampires, and Doppelgangers, Oh my!

"You know... It was a bit anti-climactic." Kol announced staring at the corpses that littered the sacrificial altar around them. Nik was off running in the woods for the first time in wolf form while Finn and Elijah chased after him. 

Kara couldn't help but agree. 

Centuries of planning and all it took was one night. 

She grabbed a random vampire, Jules the werewolf, and a witch. All she had to do for Elena was ask for a sleepover after her latest fight with Stefan. 

"We'll get together, just us girls!" She had said. 

"I'm supposed to meet Stephan after school to talk about... things." Elena smiled sadly at her kind-hearted friend. 

"That's okay! Just come over after and we'll de-brief!" 

So Elena went to talk to Stefan, telling him that she would be at a sleepover all night so she would be out of contact. 

The Salvatores wouldn't ask a single question until morning. 

"Grab the girl. She'll be up in a few hours and we can compel her then." 

Elena would forget that night. Once a month she would feel the urge to donate blood. She'd go to the hospital and one of their servants would take some blood. Then when she walked out of the hospital she'd forget again. No one would ever know of the original vampires in Mystic Falls. No enemies, no threats, no fuss. 

It was the perfect plan. 

As long as Elena remained human, all would be well. 

A deep, soul-shaken laugh erupted involuntarily from her chest as she watched Elena Gilbert's blood soak into the damp dirt. A smile, sharp and crazed etched itself into her features as tears began to form. The laugh of a mad woman echoed off the trees as Kara stared blankly at the corpse of the doppelganger. 

"A thousand years... A thousand fucking years and it was all so easy... It took three days to complete a plan one thousand years in the making... It was so fucking easy. No daggers... no curse... no Mikael... no white oak... I stopped it, I stopped it all." Kara laughed as tears streamed down her face. 

Kol inched closer to his sister, worry hidden beneath his pained smile. 

It was a constant fear whispered between siblings, that one day Kara would go mad due to the horrors of futures they couldn't see. They had always kept watch, especially after the fifty-year madness of the hunter's curse. 

Kol took her hand in his, trying to ground his other half as her pained laugh poisoned the air around them. 

"A THOUSAND YEARS! A thousand years and it only took three days. No grand schemes, no complicated plan... just grab the weak seventeen-year-old girl, and BAM she's fucking dead! It wasn't hard... She'll pop back up and no one will even know what happened... We'll compel her, no one will know what happened here... A thousand years... So bloody easy." Kara muttered more to herself than to Kol. 

It was so easy. 

No possessing Alaric's body. No dramatic traitor Elijah. No deals. No waiting. 

Easy as popping over to the shop to grab an ingredient necessary for cooking. That's all Elena Gilbert was really, an ingredient to a recipe a thousand years in the making. 

She choked on her own laughter, wiping the tears from her face as she moved towards the corpses of the witch, the werewolf, and the vampire.

"The world is unrecognizable Kol... The plot has changed and I can no longer see clearly what is in store... How exhilarating to be staring down an eternity of unknown." Kara smiled at her twin, she could see his caution. She knew why he was so worried, she had seen that same look for fifty years when she took on the hunter's curse.