The Better Half of Him

Kol Mikaelson had never been one to feel remorse. He had committed countless atrocities since he had become a vampire. Each and every sin he committed was performed without an ounce of guilt or fear of repercussion. 

That was until he unintentionally harmed Kara Mikaelson.

She had left him. His better half was torn from his side and it was entirely his fault. He feared the prince was taking her away from him, so he allowed Niklaus to kill him, but he lost her anyway. 

Kol had been inconsolable since Finn read that heart-wrenching fucking letter. Elijah had been too focused on her prediction and worried that their father was coming. Nik was furious, demanding they go find their sister. 

Rebekah too was furious, but not at Kara. Rebekah had always been one to fall in love fast and hard but Kara had always been careful and closed off. The fact that Kara loved someone outside of the family was a miracle to her younger sister. She had watched Kara's icy exterior melt before the handsome French prince. Her heart broke for her sister when she saw the numb look in her eyes. 

Each of them took turns watching Kol, for fear of what he might do if he was completely alone. Kol was very dependent on Kara, without her he felt like he had nothing. That void left by his missing magic felt all-consuming his hunger felt unquenchable. 

Kara was the better half of him, she was good and kind. She acted as his conscience and he as her ruthless protector. They were identical opposites and an eternity without her felt insurmountable. 

Niklaus had been found by Lucien with Aurora. Lucien was accused of dishonoring the girl and was tortured. Through his agony Kara's words continued to echo through his head, these were the dark times. 

Elijah was panicked that Mikael had found them. He was readying them all to leave. Because of Elijah's actions, Kara wasn't the only Mikaelson leaving France with a broken heart. Karma was a major reason she didn't warn Nik about Elijah's betrayal. Finn was also preparing them to leave and Rebekah was watching Kol. 

It took a total of twenty-four hours before Kol finally snapped. By snap, it means Rebekah's neck. In the epilogue of temporarily killing one sister, Kol left to hunt down the other.

He was going to find Kara if it was the last thing he did. 

It didn't take long for Kara to figure out that Louis was sired to her. He truly loved her before he died and was then turned by her blood. He had wonderful control mostly due to her telling him not to kill anyone unless absolutely necessary. 

She was searching high and low for a way to break a vampire sire bond, but Louis didn't seem to care at all. He felt that she would never take advantage of her control over him and that he would have felt this for her regardless. 

It had been a week since they left. They could only travel at night since Louis still did not possess a daylight ring. 

They made their way to the city of Orleans, France. Through the streets they quietly walked, trying not to disturb the peaceful night. She took his hand approaching a small house at the edge of town. 

He did not question where they were going, simply remaining in step with her. 

They knocked at the door, both unable to enter. A blonde woman opened the door looking them up and down. 

"How may I be of assistance, undead ones?" The woman spoke, there was a flighty nature about her. Her eyes were distant and all-seeing. 

"We require a witch... I understand you fit the criteria."

After a moment of contemplation where the woman seemed to be listening to a voice no one else could hear she nodded and invited them inside. 

"My name is Vesta Spellman... I have seen your story in the leaves, Kara Mikaelson. The Valkyrie Savior of the Originals... My bloodline is tied to you through time... How may I assist you?" Vesta flitted about the room in a seemingly random order, sometimes moving an item, occasionally tapping the glass vials before her attention would draw elsewhere.

From her bag, Kara pulled out her old Grimoire, turning to the page where the spell for daylight rings was written. 

"Ahhh... You want your lover to walk in the sunlight... Very well... But know that our fates are now intertwined Valkyrie... You will accomplish much in your eternity, this is the first step." 

Kara pulled a golden ring from her bag, it was simple, with a red ruby. She gave the ring to the Spellman witch. As she began gathering ingredients, Louis caught her attention, "You knew usually it is the man who offers a ring."

"It is a daylight ring, not a wedding ring." She smiled at him enjoying the look of merriment in his brilliant blue eyes. 

"I disagree. This ring is a symbol of our eternal bond is it not? Sounds like marriage to me, my wife." 

She laughed, kissing his smiling lips as Vesta handed them their ring. 

"Well then, Prince Louis of France... Please accept this token of my affection and remain at my side until forever ends."

"I accept this token, Valkyrie Kara Mikaelson, Princess of France, and my eternal love."