Play Pretend

The Mikaelson siblings had been on the run for months, eventually, they escaped on a French-bound ship. 

Elijah had developed a few rules for everyone, to keep them safe and out of Mikael's view. Their father had been hunting them since the death of Ester and they were determined not to get caught. 

Rule 1. Stay together.

No matter how many times Kol suggested they split up, Elijah and Niklaus demanded that everyone stick together. Nik supported the rule for far more selfish reasons. He knew that if Kol left, Kara would follow, and Nik refused to lose Kara. So Niklaus became the biggest advocate of 'always and forever'. 

Rule 2. All decisions are settled by a vote. 

This rule was inspired by Kara's democratic way of solving any problems in the group. the idea was if they can't all be happy, at least ensure the majority are. It was put to a vote to leave the new world in the first place. The vote brought them to England.

Rule 3. Never leave anyone alive who's seen what they are. 

Kara absolutely despised this rule. In all her time of being undead, Kara had never taken a human life. Kol usually followed behind her, finishing off her meals for her so her lack of murderous intent was never really an issue. 

However, on this particular day, Rule 3 was called into question. 

They had slaughtered a family of nobles on their way to a palace. Rebekah had pointed out how lovely the clothes were and Elijah was quick to remind her about rule 3. 

It was not the first time Rebekah brought up the idea of posing as noble. They had been existing in squaller for so long, it was steadily driving the girl mad. What could possibly happen? 

This time however there was a survivor who offered to assist them if they wished to masquerade as the nobles he was escorting. A man named Lucien Castle. 

Those were the events that brought on the most recent argument. "Rule Number 3! We do not leave any mortal alive who has seen what we are!" Elijah argued in the tone he used every time he felt his siblings were too stupid for their own good. 

"I say we keep him! We can live as nobles!" Rebekah spat back. 

"And if we are exposed at court?" Elijah retaliated. 

"I say we gut him!" Kol spat back.

"Are we to live a life on the run forever?" Finn added in. 

"Rule two...Let's put it to a vote... all those in favor of letting him live?" Nik quietly added to the conversation. 

Finn and Rebekah raised their hand. 

"Who vote's we gut him?" Elijah and Kol raised their hands. 

Kol smiled smugly as Elijah began to speak, "So it's the twins and I versus Rebekah and Finn... Niklaus do we have a tie or not?"

"A-actually... I vote we let him live" Kara interjected and all shocked faces snapped to her. 

It seemed a law of the universe that the twins never disagreed. Not once have they stood on opposite sides in an argument. So when Kol raised his hand to gut Lucien, it was automatically assumed that Kara shared the sentiment. After all the twins seemed to be one being rather than two separate people. They were even referred to as the twins rather than Kol and Kara. So it was shocking, to say the least when Kara disagreed with Kol. 

"Kara?" Kol turned, just as confused as the rest. 

"We are not supposed to kill him Kol..." Kara said, taking his hand in hers.