Moon Stone

After Louis excused himself, Kol pulled Kara into a side room, holding her hand tightly in his. 

"Sister?" He asked in concern, feeling the turmoil roaring in the other half of his soul. Kara's eyes were glassy as she held in her tears. It had been centuries but Kara only loved once, one prince that had stolen her heart. 

She had chosen then, to dedicate her entire heart to her sibling. But every once in a while, a phantom pain would resurface reminding her of what could have been if she wasn't a coward. 

"He's here, Kol. He's not supposed to be here." Kara whispered, a stray tear falling from her eye, though it was quickly intercepted by Kol. 

"What would you have me do?" Kol asked kindly, begging for a way to relieve his sister of her pain. 

"Go fetch Katerina," Kara ordered, straightening her posture and wiping the tears from her face. 

Kol did as she asked, escaping the room and striding towards the dance floor where an oblivious Katerina danced with Damon Salvatore. "Katerina dearest. Mind if I cut in?" His teasing, wicked voice stopped Katherine in her tracks. Her head snapped to the familiar voice, eyes wide with terror. "Come, darling, wouldn't want to cause a scene would we?" 

Katherine released Damon, smiling tightly as she accepted Kol's outstretched hand. 

Rather than continue the dance, kol gripped her hand so she could not escape, leading her off the dance floor. 

"Relax Darling, my sister wants to see you, my brothers have no knowledge of your location." Katherine did relax slightly at that. Knowing that Kara was the one requesting her presence set her at ease. 

They entered the small side room and there she was, sitting straight as a queen, Kara Mikaelson. 

"Katerina... A few centuries ago I allowed you to live... for a price. I have come to collect the moonstone now." Katherine wondered for a moment if the miraculous timing was pure chance or if Kara had seen the events of the future. 

Katherine pulled the stone from her purse. She had intended to give it to the Lockwood heir for safe keeping but now that Kara sat before her, the all-knowing look in her eye, there was no point. 

Katherine placed the stone in Kara's outstretched palm, only for her wrist to be grabbed by Kara, pulling her down to her level. Kara's pupils dilated compelling Katherine's complete attention and will, "Also... You will never harm, turn, or coerce someone to harm a girl named Caroline Forbes." 

She released Katherine's arm standing in the same motion to hand the stone to Kol. 

"Our business is concluded... I shall see you in a little over a century, my little survivor." with those parting words Kara left the mansion as quickly as she came. 

"Who is Caroline Forbes?" Kol asked. 

"Not yet born. But she is our future sister-in-law if I have anything to say about it." Kara smiled a bright, mischievous twinkle returning to her eye as they left the manor arm in arm. 

Kara led Kol to the Whickery Bridge, the whole thing made of white oak, sign included. Kol began pouring lamp oil all over the bridge, taking a match and burning it all. Kara burnt the sign leaving only one board untouched. 

"Why keep any of it at all? It will kill us." Kol asked, glaring at the board of white oak in her hand. 

"Nature will always create a balance. If we burn all the white oak, another tree will grow somewhere we don't know. Better to know the location of the white oak than leave it to chance." She would give the last stake to Hilda so it could rest with the daggers, out of sight and mind. The ashes of the bridge washed away in the river, never to cause problems for them again.

Back in New York, Kara and Kol entered their estate where they heard the Mikaelson family dinner in full swing. 

They entered the room smiling at their family. "Kol, Kara." Elijah was the first to greet standing to kiss Kara's cheek. She smiled kissing his as well before doing the same for the rest of her family. 

"Marcellus! My darling boy!" Kara cheered seeing her son return from his travels, smothering him with kisses and affection. 

"Hey, Mama. I'm not staying for long. I'm joining the war effort in a week or so. Fight for my slave brothers you know." Mars answered nobly. However, a bit of the sacrifice was tainted by the fact that he couldn't die or age. 

"You will do wonderfully my darling. But you will stay for Nik's birthday?" Kara asked, straightening his jacket. 

"Of course mother." 

Kara shot him a look at his longsuffering tone but turned to the rest of her family. Marcellus had been turned after his year abroad, after a long dramatic conversation with Rebekah they both realized that perhaps Kara was right about their relationship. Rebekah had found a new true love only two months after Mars left. It broke his heart but also made him realize how much freer he felt traveling and experiencing life. 

"Nik! In preparation for your birthday, Kol and I got you something very special indeed." She held up a neatly wrapped present, placing it on the table before their half-brother. 

"Please tell me, Kol didn't pick it out." Niklaus teased, dodging the random vase Kol had thrown at his head.

"Open it you twat!" Kara laughed, taking her seat next to Nik and Marcellus. 

The mirth melted from Nik's face the moment he saw what was inside. He stared wide-eyed at the stone in his hand. "Is this-?"

"The Moon-stone. The key to your curse." Kara answered softly, allowing the moment to sink in for her brother. 

"How-?"

"I have my ways." 

Klaus stood, pulling Kara to her feet and into his warm embrace. She felt tears trickle down on her head as her half-brother clutched his salvation in his palm, "Thank you."