To be a Mother

Kara stood with her arms crossed and a scowl firmly in place. Niklaus stood at her side in silence a matching expression on his face. Kol, tried to conceal his smile as he sat next to Marcellus who was desperate to avoid his adopted mother's ire. 

"Mama-"

"Marcellus." She quickly silenced him as her glare flitted between Kol and him. Even at 18, Marcellus was still a total mama's boy. 

"Relax, sister. We were just having a bit of fun." Kol smiled, only for Marcel to smack his arm, looking remarkably like Kara at that moment. 

"Relax? RELAX?!? Do you think this is funny? Compelling the governor to throw a city-wide party called Fat Tuesday. You could draw Mikael's attention right to us!" Niklaus hissed at his sisters side. 

Niklaus had taken on a father-like role in Marcellus' life. He helped raise the boy alongside Kara. Kol had taken his role as wild uncle very seriously, often dragging Marcellus into his schemes just to annoy his other half.

"Marti Gras actually... it's french. Sounds better, non?" Kol continued to smirk. 

"It was irresponsible!" Kara huffed. 

"There was no harm, Mama. Really, it all worked out!" Marcellus smiled that charming smile that he learned from years of observing Kara. Most would melt under his soothing tone, but Kara invented that fucking tone. 

"Don't try that tone with me, Marcellus Gerard Mikaelson." He always sat a little taller when she said his full name. He truly adored his mother. She was kind and caring as they came, but at the end of the day, she was still a Mikaelson and she could be terrifying if she wanted. 

Niklaus nodded along with Kara, "We have been here for a long time. We have given him ample time to find us, so we are already in a dangerous position. We can not draw any more attention to ourselves. Kol I have no doubt in my mind this was your scheme-"

"Enough with the lectures! Leave them for Elijah, he rather fancies them. Now, if we are done here." He hopped to his feet, planted an overexaggerated kiss on Kara's cheek, and raced out of the room before anyone could stop him, leaving Marcellus alone with his two very pissed-off parental figures. 

Both turned to him at once, their sharp eyes nailing him in place. 

"There is something else we wanted to discuss with you before this whole debacle," Niklaus said taking a seat cattycorner to Marcellus. 

"You're eighteen now, Mars. We wanted to discuss your plans for the future." Kara's earlier anger seemed to disappear as she took Kol's empty seat to his left.

"What do you mean?" Marcellus asked looking at his mother and she held his hand. 

"We mean... Do you want to go to school? Marry and have children?... Or..." Niklaus began before looking to Kara for assistance. 

"We wanted to know if your plans for the future include transitioning into... one of us," Kara added. 

Marcellus smiled, finally understanding what they were getting at. He knew that if he told his mother he wanted to go to school, marry, and have children, she would allow it without a second thought. If he wanted to be the King of a country, Kara Mikaelson would make it happen. He knew that Klaus wanted him to be immortal with them but at the end of the day, he would adhere to Kara on how to approach the topic. 

Kara seemed to be the only person in the world the other Mikaelsons actually listened to. 

"I want to be a vampire, Mama. I don't want to have kids, or if I change my mind I can just adopt like you did. I am the most educated man in New Orleans. And marriage... well... I can think about that later." Marriage was a topic he was hesitant to broach. Because there was a woman he wanted to marry.  There was a romance Marcellus hadn't told his mother, one with Rebekah Mikaelson. 

He was absolutely in love with Rebekah. He had been since he was sixteen. He knew his father, Niklaus, would be furious but there was no telling how Kara would react. 

Kara gave Marcel a knowing look, "Just because you think you're clever at hiding it, doesn't mean I don't know. Hiding things from me is rarely successful." He felt his heart stop in his chest as he gazed into his mother's all-knowing eyes. Most boys think their mothers have eyes in the back of their heads. They always seemed to know what you've done by sense alone. But Marcellus' mother was in a whole different league. She was the Original Seer, an all-knowing immortal who saw the future as clearly as the present. 

"Mama-"

"Marcellus... I don't know how I feel about you and Rebekah's... relationship." Kara said kindly, though he could see the grimace on her lips. 

"Marcellus and fucking who?" He heard Niklaus hiss from his seat but his eyes remained on his mother's. 

"I love her, Mama. I really do." Marcel assured as he grasped her hands in his. 

"She's... a thousand years old and knew you when you were a child. It just feels very predatory and I worry it's a love born of forced proximity rather than true romantic adoration." Kara expressed her concerns. 

"REBEKAH? OUR SISTER REBEKAH? YOUR AUNT REBEKAH?" Nik continued to rage in the background. 

"How about this... after you turn and we make sure your blood thirst is under control... You will tour Europe on your own for a year. Learn cultures, meet new people, experience life, and put all those French lessons to use. But you must promise to pursue other girls during that year or at least try... If the year concludes and Rebekah is still your choice, then your heart is your own. I will trust your judgment. But I want you out of our bubble before you tie your eternity to your first love. We have forever darling. A year is nothing to us." Kara compromised, as she always did. Trying to come up with a solution that would best benefit him. 

"FUCKING NO! WHY WOULD HE GO TO EUROPE? WHAT IS THIS ABOUT REBEKAH-"

"FUCKING HELL NIK! SHUT IT! STOP ROARING LIKE A BEAST!"

They started bickering back and forth she sped in front of him before Nik could storm off in a rage to their little sister. Marcellus on the other hand sat toying with his mother's proposition. What's the harm in a year if they had forever? He loved Rebekah and Rebekah loved him. Surely after more experience, he would still love her. 

So as his parents continued to fight, Marcellus decided to agree to his mother's condition.