Chapter~31

E l S P E T H   S E E M E D  S H O C K—E D at the revelation. I never told her about where I came from or what I went through, just that I left my old pack to pursue a different life. A more human life rather than a wolfs.

"My past resides in blue stone. Vincent Ford was my mate but also my twin sisters. He felt the pull more so towards her and pursued it. One thing led to another and they were basically mated and married off and I was alone. I was beaten to death by my own family and Alpha. However, with Celestè here she got me out, nursed me back to health gave me a fat wad of cash and I fucked off to Valanthea which is where I bought Clementine valley and built on the land"

"Hadley. How did I not know any of this about you why did you never say before?" Elspeth's voice was of pure pity and I did not like that at all.

"What so you could throw me a pity party? Look down on me and my weaknesses. Apart from the people at this table it is not to be known to anyone else" my teeth clench.

Elspeth clears her throat "Hadley you should know by now sympathy is not my style. I'm just simply nosey is all" she shrugs.

"Fuckin hell Hadley. That's crazy. Actually you know what yeah fuck the lot of them at blue stone. Hope they all die" she goes on without a care in the world.

Her hoping they all die brought a slight smirk to my face and a little chuckle. Matteo also gave a little laugh but celestè just continued to sip her drink, keeping her classiness about her that she always has.

"Well anyway that's the tale of the century and I have no business reliving what I have already lived through once upon a time ago. I'm a forty year old woman I don't have time to play games and fight wars for people that I wish would die in a house fire" I sip my wine almost as though I was dying of an unbearable thirst.

"The more I talk about it the more I think about it the more unsettled my soul becomes. I hate all of them and dying in this war for them is out of the question. Maybe Marcus is doing me a favour" I scoff.

Matteo comes to my side, taking the seat next to me on my right and putting an arm around me in attempts to soothe me.

Celestè's soft voice is directed at me "Now you don't really believe that Hadley. I know you don't. Marcus is clearly an alpha déséquilibré who must be stopped. You only fight in a war when you have something to fight for that's important to you. Is there anything from blue stone that could possibly persuade you to join the fight against your own judgement and distaste for it?"

I have to think for a second. Nothing pops into mind. Nothing at all.

I look at her in the eyes "nope nothing"

Her brows furrowed "what about your friend? Maya?"

My face pales again, I can feel the actual colour fading from my complexion making it ghastly white. God. Maya. I'd totally forgotten about her still being at Blue Stone in this moment with my mind focusing on the one thing that never goes away. HIM.

"Yes. Your right" I tell her slowly
"I forgot about Maya"

"Who's Maya?"

"Maya was my best friend growing up. We were thick as thieves. She was always there for me and me her. I have no idea what she gets up to now a days" I say in response to Elspeth.

I couldn't talk about anymore of this now I had to find some solitude. "Excuse me please" my chair makes the same scuffle noise from before as I rise and leave the table, exiting the dining room and heading towards my bed chamber for the night.

I think my Paris trip will be cut short now, I'm too stressed to be here. Too far away from my home and my business.

I'm a work-aholic. I don't have to think when I'm working I just do what I have to do and get to escape whatever the hell goes on inside my head.