Dilemma

Abhiram's POV

Aaru was munching on the banana slices that I had packed for him in the morning while playing with his blocks. My baby was really creative and had a knack for coming up with some new design out of those blocks each time. I had been done with reviewing the file that had been sent by the finance team for our new venture and was more or less idle. I would have joined Aaru and played with him but my mind was stuck on something else.

Every time I would close my eyes today, Avantika's hurt face would appear in front of my eyes. Yes, there had been a lot of times in these six months that the both of us would be with a hurt face, but today, it seemed a bit different. The pain on her face, I just cannot get it out of my mind and I do not know how to deal with this.

'Tum sach jaan loge.' (You will know the truth)

What did she even mean by these words? Was I wrong all along? Was she speaking the truth? But again, why would Kinju lie about such a thing? Why would a mother lie about miscarrying her kid?

Hell, I sound like a broken record, ruminating over the same few thoughts and repeating the same few words over and over again.

I was brought out of my thoughts with what seemed like a squeal. I glanced over at Aaru to see him squealing in delight and excitement. He stood up in the same excitement and tripped over a block that was lying on the carpet. Before I could run and scoop him in my arms, another pair of a black coat cladded arms saved him effortlessly.

"Dev?", I questioned the silly man standing in front of me with Aaru now safely tucked in his arms and a goofy beam on his face.

Oh, his favourite uncle - that explains his excitement.

He was my best buddy - Devarsh Thakore, a very popular model here in Gujarat and also in the country. He was the perfect example of a happy go lucky guy. Always positive, damn optimistic, I would often wonder where he got his fairy dust from, the cheerful being that he was. I had always been a really private and introverted person. Confident, but introverted. And in my fifth grade, one fine day, this idiot entered my class as a new admission and basically became my self-proclaimed best friend. I tried to get him off my back, but once I understood that he was being genuine and loyal, I too gave in to his friendship. That was my best decision ever. He was more like a brother all these years, not just a friend. Also his bond with Avantika after we had gotten married was too beautiful, too pure. The three of us were as thick as thieves, but I wonder what he would think of her now.

"Aur kaun? Kem chho, mere Ram?", he engulfed me in a warm hug, my Aaru crushing between the two of us.

(Aur kaun - who else, Kem chho - how are you in Gujarati, mere - my)

This best friend of mine loved to refer to me as Ram in contrast to the usual Abhi. His logic - "I am Dev (god) and you are Abhiram, so I will call you Ram (Lord Ram - a Hindu God)."

I kind of understood it, kind of didn't, but it was no use arguing with this idiot.

"Dev, my gift?", Aaru chimed in before I could answer.

Dev had returned today after being in Mumbai for multiple shoots for three months. We had been in touch over the phone, but it wasn't the same.

The grown up child whispered something in Aaru's ears and the both of them giggled boisterously like the kids they were. After their giggling session, Dev pecked Aaru's cheeks and he went away to play with his blocks yet again.

"So, how are you?"

"I am fine Dev.", I tried to smile.

"Since when did you start pretending to be happy?", Dev saw right through my pretense.