Dev and Aaru

Avantika's POV

We had taken some time to compose ourselves. We had cried, sobbed bitterly and since we had left Aaru back at home with Dev to look after him, we did not want them to see us in this condition. I had spoken what I could in front of Dr. Godbole and had vented out in front of Abhiram too, but now I was feeling all worn out, exhausted from within. I do not know if its normal to feel this way after such intense sessions with counsellors, or that Abhiram too was feeling this way, but all I wanted to do was curl up in the bed and fall into a deep slumber. Although, even that seemed improbable as of now, seeing that the thoughts of today's conversation would keep swirling around in my head.

As soon as I had gotten down from the car, Abhiram was quick to jog over to my side and entwine my hand within his own.

"Please rehne do Avi.", his tone was pleading.

(rehne do - let it be)

I turned to look at him and found him gazing at me with his pleading eyes. I understood that he felt the need to hold me close to himself, he needed that assurance and I let him have that assurance. I knew he needed it, and despite of my outburst and all of those bitter feelings that had resurfaced, a distant corner of my heart needed it too.

We waited for Dev to open the door as Abhiram rang the bell. I only hope Aaru and him would have somehow kept all their shenanigans in check - I mean I know those two become really chaotic together, but a person can hope right.

What we saw in front of us, took our breaths away and not in a good manner.

"Yeh kya hai?", Abhiram was the first to react since I still stood with my jaw dropped.

(Yeh kya hia - what is this)

There stood in front of us a black shirt and jeans cladded Dev who seemed to be entirely drenched in flour. In his arms, a blue t-shirt cladded Aaru who appeared exactly the same as him, drenched in flour. Both of them grinning shamelessly at us.

"Oh, welcome home Ram, Avanti.", the first idiot opened his mouth,

"Momma, dadda.", the second idiot, who was our son extended his arms which were completely covered in flour towards us, which we managed to evade.

"What have you two done? Dev?", Abhiram asked in an exasperated tone and then directed his glare towards Dev.

"Oh, don't kill me with that laser glare of yours Ram. Its all because of this Aaru. He bullied me into baking a cake for him. And you know my cooking skills right?"

Aaru stared at his uncle in disbelief.

"Yeah, your non-existent cooking skills.", Abhiram still continued to glare at him.

"Ram, tum bhi na.", Dev chuckled like the idiot he is.

(tum bhi na - sort of implies that he's playfully shying)

"Taarif nahi kar raha hoon.", Abhi continued glaring at Dev.

(Taarif nahi kar raha hoon - I am not praising you)

"Dadda, Dev liar. He bake cake.", Aaru wiggled within Dev's arms.

Dev gasped dramatically.

"Remember young man, you are still in my arms, I can drop you anytime.", Dev narrowed his eyes at Aaru who was then quick to tighten his arms around Dev's neck.

"What, ahhh Aaru, don't strangle me now, I am not dropping you, idiot.", he tried to free his neck from Aaru's grip.

"You idiot,", Aaru retorted giggling.

"No, you idiot.", Dev retorted, or more like whined. This man child.

"No, you."

"Enough.", I finally reached my limit.