A step ahead?

Avantika's POV

I struggled with opening my eyes this morning. It must have been quite late since I did not find anyone sleeping besides me - neither Abhiram nor Aaru. My little boy had come to our room quite late in the night and snuggled in between his dadda and I.

I felt a sweet smell greeting my nose, it was familiar, but in my half-sleepy state, I was unable to pinpoint what it was. One thing was for sure though, this was definitely some food. Hmm, grilled cheese. Oh, woah, grilled cheese.

Abhiram's grilled cheese sandwich!

The wafting aroma urged me to brush off all the sleepiness for once and I found a plate of grilled cheese sandwiches on the nightstand, a little note stuck by their side. I was quite relaxed today since it was my day off, and had decided to spend the entire day with Aaru. Abhiram had some important meeting in his office.

I took the sticky note in my hand plucking it off the surface.

(This note's been created by your author, right from the scratch :))

As the aroma of the sandwich wafted all around me, I felt the warmth of Abhiram's words seeping into my heart.

I remember the first time after our marriage when he had cooked this for me. We were just getting to know each other. Prior to getting married, we just had a brief 2-3 meetings and that too for communicating with each other what we really wanted out of this marriage.

Growing up, I never really had a knack for any relationships or so. Mom and dad were really liberal and had no qualms with getting me married to someone of my choice, but I never really had the time or interest to explore that. So when they started speaking about marriage, I left it on them to do a thorough research about the guy who falls within the ambit of my conditions. Basically, him not being a misogynistic jerk was the most basic thing, his family too. Neither did I want to deal with some man child who refuses to do his chores. Abhiram was the perfect fit. The 2-3 times we met before marriage, were just some times where we purely discussed what we want out of this marriage. That's it.

The real getting to know each other part was after marriage - the hobbies, and habits, and likes and dislikes. The persona had been judged by the both of us, and now was the time to delve deeper into each other's souls. It was perfect like this. Perfect for us.

It had just been a week or so after our marriage and we had moved into his apartment, this home of ours. I had wanted to pitch in half the amount for our home, but Abhi already had this apartment, so he suggested me to invest in a farmhouse which would serve as our vacation home. I felt this was sensible and went ahead.

I was dead tired from all those functions - after effects of a big, fat wedding, and was deep in sleep when he woke me up and surprised me with these sandwiches of his. Now, mom had already informed me of her son being a wonderful cook, but experiencing it now felt really good. Those sandwiches became one of my favourites just within that single meal.