Deciding upon

Avantika's POV

I was on my way to Vapi now to speak to a witness for pro-bono work, essentially as a part of our CSR activities. I was not to present the case in the court, but apparently considering the sensitivity of the matter at hand, I agreed to go there and speak with the victim.

(Vapi - a city in Gujarat)

Domestic violence - classic and one of the most visible forms of violence against a woman. Unfortunately, not many really come forward - some out of fear, out of trepidation and anxiety if there are kids involved, some for the sake of family, but mostly its because of 'what people will say' - the societal pressure. This one too. She did not call us, it was her kid who's passing the twelfth grade and had heard about our pro-bono activities. Brave kid, I must say. At least, that seems to be the familial support she would have against her husband.

While leaving, I could easily sense the turmoil in Abhiram's mind. Dad had dropped off Aaru in the morning. This decision to visit Vapi was quite all of a sudden. I pondered over mom's words - she had a point. The farther I stay away from Abhiram, even if its for a day or two, the more clarity I would have in coming to a decision.

Abhiram had held Aaru tightly within his arms and was looking at me with a look which I would only describe to be pure pleading. And then it had become necessary to explain all the underlying reasons for visiting Vapi. As far as the case is concerned, when I explained, he quietly put down Aaru and brought some dahi-shakkar from the kitchen. That had always been our tradition. When either of us have an important work, or some deal pending, we offer dahi-shakkar to the other person. It was only in these six months that we had deterred from this tradition. He had tried to give it to me once, but sensing the hostility on his face, I had simply walked away.

(dahi-shakkar - curd and sugar, often eaten in India before embarking on some important work, believed to be auspicious)

Out of spite or maybe for all the justified reasons, I wanted to walk away today too, but he took ahold of my wrist and I could not take my eyes off the intense anguish I saw within his eyes. I had the dahi-shakkar.

"Avi please don't go.", he still tried to reason.

"Abhiram, first thing - you know this case is really important for the firm and for the woman involved too. Secondly, we do need some alone time to get a clarity on some things.", I asserted.

"But what if you don't return?", his reply was frantic.

"I will Abhiram. My Aaru's here, how can I not return."

That seemed to have placated him a bit, I think. But that was the thing right. Where earlier, I would have had both Aaru and my Abhi to return home to, presently, I just had Aaru to return to, and Abhiram was smart enough to know that I would never not return to our kid.

When I reached there, in Vapi, the kid who had called us was there to take us to his mom.

"What's you name dear?"

"Hardik ma'am. Thank you so much for coming here", his gesture was polite and his smile too. But his eyes narrated a different tale. They were troubled, too troubled. Where ideally, he should have been studying and preparing for his future and enjoying his life as any normal teenager, he was sucked into a turmoil which no one would ever want for their loved one.

I passed him a polite smile.

"So, what are you studying?"

"Ma'am, waiting for my CLAT results.", he had a proud look on his face and rightly so.

"Arre waah. That's wonderful."

(Arre waah - wow)

"So, why law?"