seventeen: the past can be the future

"So Y/n, you up for the challenge?" He asks, smoke dancing in the air as Y/n looks up from the baked beans, bread and water she slowly picks at and eating

"I don't know. You already made me kill somebody-"

"That was for your own good and it was needed," he cut the girl off as she looks between his golden brown eyes. His hair turned gray months ago. No dye to change it back to its original dark brown state. "It was to protect our camp."

"We could have used them. We're low on people and you act as if everybody is perishable."

"They are. Those people were dead way before we actually pulled a trigger," Fredrick says. Y/n rolls her eyes. "You did the right thing don't forget it."

"The right thing would have been to save those people Fredrick. We agreed-"

"Agreed to talk about things. Yes and we did. But I know what's best for us. I know what's best for our people," he cuts the girl off as Y/n looks away from him, down to the beans. Her eyes linger on them not really seeing them. She just didn't want to look at the older man. "Do we have to have another conversation? Do you need another reminder like this one?" Y/n flinches slightly, feeling the man's finger tips come up on her knee towards her thigh, lingering more inwards, on the inner side of her thigh. He lingers there, his old, skeleton like fingers linger as he applies some pressure. Y/n jerks and clenches her jaw, looking swiftly down to the man's hand.

"I can teach you another lesson. You know I'm no stranger to it."

"No, no. Please I'm sorry," Y/n whispers, staying as still as possible. Her eyes watching the man's fingers slowly slide away. The feeling of the pressure fading giving her a chance to relax a bit and not be so on edge.

"Good girl. We really don't want another repeat of that. Nor when I gave you that there-" he pauses and points to Y/n's cheek. A bruise followed with a cut sits healing rather slowly. "Now... You and Rue will head out tomorrow. Gather some people. Make me happy."

Y/n nods and pushes her food towards the middle of the table.

"You should finish eating," Fredrick says, eyeing the girl. Y/n shakes her head from side to side standing up slowly.

"I'm okay. Give it to the new girl-" Y/n pauses looking at Fredrick finding his eyes watching her intently. "I want to rest before I head out with Rue in the morning to get new recruits."

Fredrick smiles nodding. "Alright then. Goodnight Y/n."

"Goodnight Fredrick."

Eyes flutter open. Y/n's eyes open and close. Her vision blurry as the room around her becomes more clear. She feels a presence and moves slightly immediately hearing a voice and then someone squeeze her hand.