Ch 16

I awoke to Alexandria's arms snaked around my waist, my head somehow underneath the crook of her neck. I tried to keep my movements to a minimum, looking around to try and find a source that would tell me the time. 

My body jolted as I heard someone walking around outside of the bedroom, the goosebumps on my body made themselves apparent as my mind took me through every possibility of who could be in her house. 

I started to sweat as my body temperature rose. I made my way out of Alex's light grasp, trying to make as little noise as I could. I grabbed my phone that was on the floor, just incase...

I walked out of the bedroom, my body feeling rough and my head was now banging. Last night definitely took a mental toll on me. 

I made my way towards the noise, my heartbeat increasing with every step. 

I turned the corner to see a figure sitting on the couch with the light off, but the sunlight creeped through the curtains so I could see that it was a woman.

"My, my, my, you are a sweet one. Don't tell me my baby sister has finally settled down. With a younger woman as well, how interesting." The mysterious woman walked towards me, turning on the light switch in the process. Her sister?

She was now looking down upon me, my hand started to ache as I held my phone with a tight grip. She seemed to be around the same height as Alexandria and almost seemed identical to her, except from the striking ginger hair and the hint of wrinkles upon her face. 

The genes don't run short huh? I thought to myself.

"I'm Scarlet." She grinned, showing off her pearly white teeth and holding out her hand for me to shake.

I looked down at her hand, rising my eyebrow at her and taking it into mine. She forcefully pulled me into her, hugging me and chuckling as I heard Alex's bedroom door open. 

Her other hand resided on my lower back as she called out for her. "Well, hello sister. I was just making myself acquainted with your little friend here." I pulled out of her grasp, turning around to see anger plastered over Alexandria's face. Her gaze stayed on Scarlet whilst she beckoned me over to her side.

I hastily walked over, her arm pushing me behind her as if she was protecting me from her. 

"Scarlet. What are you doing here?" Her voice was low and serious. 

The older woman made her way into the kitchen, considering it was open-planned we could still see her, but her focus was on something else as she spoke. 

"Would you like some breakfast, my darling sister?" There was a slight hiss in her tone, something inside me told me to stay back as Alex's hold on me became tighter. 

"Scarlet." Her voice had become even more stern, sending chills down my spine. 

The older woman sighed in response, taking what appeared to be green grapes out of the fridge. She sat down on one of the bar stools that surrounded the island, occasionally throwing a grape into her mouth. She was definitely testing Alexandria's patience, the silence had grown more uncomfortable the longer she took to respond. 

She looked up from the grapes and focused her attention onto us.

"I've come to check up on my son. I thought I would stop by to see you, but I can see you are  preoccupied with other- matters." Her gaze landed upon me before going back to her sister that stood in front of me.

I heard Alex sigh quietly, her arm that was holding me back now rested at her side. 

"Scar, you can't just show up unannounced at my house. And you..." She turned around to face me with an eyebrow raised higher than the other. "Don't you even think about leaving my bed without awaking me, I thought you had left..." Her voice lowered towards the end of her sentence, guilt creeping over me as I saw her facial features soften.